I Want to Try Something Else

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having married a northern lass, I have come to appreciate Cod and other dishes, but milk in the peas is still not me after 20 years.
She is getting you trained. Is it cod or salted cod? Mine is polish. I love polish sausage but most of her “comfort” foods are way too bland for me. Give me flavor (spice).

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Leave it to a southern to grow what we try to kill in the nawth. First dandelions, now rag weed.......what next? Palmer? :frow
What's Palmer?

ETA: Nevermind, that's what we call pigweed. Sheep like to eat that too. It's about gone from here and I don't miss it!

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Palmer is a pigweed. But on steroids.

Peas in a milk slurry kind of like sausage gravy. With lots of pepper, not bad. Eat over mashed potatoes.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i don't put much on peas other than a bit of butter - rarely more than that. for one they mostly get eaten out in the garden right from the pod. the few times i get more pods for shelling and eating they're only warmed up to get them hot but not usually cooked beyond that. garlic is perhaps one thing i'd add a little, but this just isn't happening often because we love peas just as they are.

peas, pea-pods and shrimp, garlic, ginger, thickened chicken stock. that's a pretty easy dish. chopped scallions on top. if you can get good shrimp.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are we talking about Creamed Peas and New Potatoes?

Really? That sounds strange?

And here I have to try hard to schedule the two crops just right to have them at the same time ...

Steve

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My garden has been getting to be way more trouble than it is worth the last few years so I have been trying to figure out what is wrong. I think one thing that is a major problem is the insects that I can't seem to get rid of. I have had pretty deep mulch, added to yearly, and I think insects use it for cover. And the weeds! Oh the weeds that manage to come up where the cardboard isn't!
Yesterday I was pulling up what ever dried flowers and veggie stems remained and burning trash. I decided to rake the whole garden bare and let it dry, freeze, air out for a while. Do you think this will help kill off a few critters?
I also have to get a tiller. I loaned out my tiller to someone a few years ago and now it doesn't work. I have been digging the rows by hand and I am getting too old to do that. So a tiller is needed. Also I need to be more pro-active on fighting weather issues.
If you all have any suggestions, I welcome them.
"Gardening" is part of my identity. If I can't, or don't have the energy or will power any more, it takes part of me away.
I probably will be adding to this thread as I figure out what to do.
I highly suggest Cabbage and Kale. I heard they are the best to plant this time of year. :)

Latest posts