I wasn't going to join because what do I know about gardening but....

Arklady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I decided I would like to have an herb garden and.... there is no herb section in here... So anyway, I bought a book its out of print but I got a copy of it anyway. Its all about gardening with herbs and perserving them.

But I will still need to know where to get them. I mean some of these will probably not be any where around me. I had to go to a special place to buy anise seed.

Well anyway, where is the best place to get herbs most often used in cooking besides my local garden store.

Arklady/already checked and noooo lol

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you have to mailorder and are looking for a very complete range of offerings, I highly recommend www.richtersherbs.com . They do ship to the US. They also sell good (tho sometimes small) plants, but I dunno what the cross-border shipping limitations are (Richters is Canadian).

There are also a variety of good U.S. seed and plant sources, probalby someone else can itemize them better than I can anymore :)

Some of the better things you pretty much need to buy as plants not seed -- rosemary, the really neat 'flavored' mints and thymes, proper tarragon.

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Arklady, everyone should and probably can :watering have an herb garden. They add a lot to our pleasure as gardeners.

I also like Richters and imagine that they are the most comprehensive source available to you.

Johnnys also offers lots of herb seed choices. As does Nichols Garden Nursery but I haven't bought from them for quite a few years.

Some herbs should be started from stem cuttings or purchased as plants: Rosemary, Oregano, and French tarragon. You'll end up with better culinary varieties that way.

Steve

jmk3482

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If you have a local flea market or farmers market, you can check there. I have a local flea market every sunday and there are always people selling flowers, veggies and herbs there.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, farmer's markets sell starts of herbs, if you have one locally.

I started rosemary from seed (along with a lot of other herbs, like oregano, mint, etc.) My rosemary and oregano are just as good for cooking as any I have purchased. I think I originally bought those seeds from a department store (garden section).

Places like wall-mart probably sell herb starts and/or seeds.

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If I were starting an herb garden from scratch, the first things I'd plant would be rosemary, thyme and chives (all come back year after year in Zone 7 or warmer), and then when it gets warmer, I'd add basil.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't have anything exotic. But I have the beginnings of an herb garden. I got a lot of the stuff from a small nursery across the highway from my house. And a couple of things from Home Depot.

I had parsley (I grew it from a seedling, not seeds.) Which if you read a previous post, you will know that it is biannual and it going to see this year, so I really need to go find another plant. I got some lavender and it died back a lot in the winter, but is starting to get new leaves.

I might very well have killed my rosemary plant. It doesn't seem to be coming back yet. I've seen no sign of the chives, either. But the tarragon is coming back up fine (lord help me.) The spearmint had gotten really huge last summer, died down during the winter, and seems to be making a come back. The thyme is spreading, too. I don't have a lot in there yet, but I am working on it.

I just look for things where ever I happen to be. I don't have a great plan for my herb garden. I know I should. I just pick up things that strike my fancy when I see them. That is part of the fun to me.

Cassandra

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i recommend having some way to contain any herbs you grow. some of them will really take over if left to freerange. if you have a lowes or homedepot they tend to have some plants, otherwise you may have to order seen from a catalog. (all i have is parsley)

Latest posts