I went to Wal-Mart yesterday

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
I love the chicken bag - very cute!! Not only do I get ugly looks form the cashiers, but I get strange looks from the customers as well. :rolleyes: My bags usually have dog hair on them also! :)
Is that where the term "hairbag" came from? :lol:

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bringing in my own bags to the local stores certainly slows things down, but I won't have it any other way.

I find it hysterical that some checkers still look on the bags for a price tag ... like they're going to charge me for my own bags that are clearly well used, and say WHOLE FOODS (which is not local) on them. Hahhaaa!!

I swear some of our checkers are completely "checked out" ... half the time, they don't even say hello, and if they do they hardly move their lips. They're the ones I am ULTRA cheery to, just to force them to interact. I ask them all kinds of questions, jabber on about the weather, ask them if they dream about produce numbers... :lol:

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Southern Gardener said:
I love the chicken bag - very cute!! Not only do I get ugly looks form the cashiers, but I get strange looks from the customers as well. :rolleyes: My bags usually have dog hair on them also! :)
Is that where the term "hairbag" came from? :lol:
LOL! Maybe so!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SweetMissDaisy said:
Bringing in my own bags to the local stores certainly slows things down, but I won't have it any other way.

I find it hysterical that some checkers still look on the bags for a price tag ... like they're going to charge me for my own bags that are clearly well used, and say WHOLE FOODS (which is not local) on them. Hahhaaa!!

I swear some of our checkers are completely "checked out" ... half the time, they don't even say hello, and if they do they hardly move their lips. They're the ones I am ULTRA cheery to, just to force them to interact. I ask them all kinds of questions, jabber on about the weather, ask them if they dream about produce numbers... :lol:
:lol: :yuckyuck I'll have to try that with the cashiers here! Too funny!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
SweetMissDaisy said:
My BIL has always had that approach and I think it's great. I try to engage them to talk too, but unless I'm feeling perky that day, I'm no where near as good as my BIL--he's a natural conversationalist! I'm sure it is a rather boring, tedious job and you never know what people may have weighing on their minds.

I'm going to have to buy a couple bags of Layena just for the cuteness and make a couple of those bags. I'm sure they will repel dog hair too. :lol: I usually buy Dumor, but their bag is a funky yellowy-orange color. The grocery bags I have now are black. They show every little speck!

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bringing your own bags is like second nature if not required for many both here in oregon and back home in washington. The checkers must be used to it since they never say anything and bag just as fast as if they were using the plastic ones. The "did you remember your bag?" signs have been up for probably near a decade in some areas, and some places do not allow plastic bags anymore anyway. It'll probably take some time before all the checkers get used to it. But then again... Seattle has a no paper waste in trash rule and will not pick up your trash if you have too much paper in it... and will fine the yellow pages if they deliver a book to a "please do not deliver" registered address.

I do admit though, I do not always bring my own bags. I use the small plastic grocery ones as bedroom trash can liners.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wish we had a law like that here in San Diego. I get three or four throwaway newspaper in my driveway every week. Then I have to go around and pick them up or dig them out of the bush they landed in. They're all in Spanish anyway so I couldn't read them even if I was so inclined.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have gotten much better at remembering to take my nice reusable cloth bags to the grocery store. I shop at the local (not chain store) and know almost everyone that works there. They LOVE my bags. I have a real nice assortment! A few that fold nice and flat and then snap closed for storage. I wish I would remeber to take them with me to Wal-mart, Target, etc.... I better not get the LOOK since a even have bags I bought from them with thier LOGO on. !!!! When I do forget and have to bag in palstic I use those for lining waste baskets.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SweetMissDaisy said:

I like your style! Actually, when I get upset, that is what my hubby does to get me to talk to him,I end up laughing when I want to frown. :hugs

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
Our local "Natural Foods" store gives a nickel rebate for every bag of our own we use. They also have some "donation" opportunities available for spare change right where they give you the nickels.

The Walmart stores are set up for efficiency. Like any manufactuiring process that have been through a lot of motion studies, if you get out of the standard it does slow the process down. That plastic bag wheel thingy is design for efficiency. They don't want to hire any more cashiers than they have to. If you want to bag your own, go through the self-checkout line. I've yet to get an ugly look from a cashier when I go through that line.

What is sad to me is that so many people don't know where food comes from or what is involved in actually manufacturing items. This growing number of people have a growing influence on our laws and processes. That is scary.
You're correct about those people having a growing influence on our laws and processes.

Latest posts