I wish Bambi would die!

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You may be a bit short. A single fence about 10' tall would probably be 99% effective. I've seen them clear an 8' fence with room to spare. Another possibility would be adding a shorter fence, 4-5' high about 3-5' outside of your taller one. It has been my experience that deer can jump high and they can jump far, but they can't jump high and far in one leap. Streamers of aluminum foil every few feet might insure that they can see both fences.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I second OG's statement. Another effective thing is if the fence is slanted towards the outside, of course since you already have your fence up that's a moot point. The smaller the fenced in area, the less likely the deer will jump in.

There's lots of homemade "cures" , hair, soap, urine ( has to be male), but I have had true, 100% success with commercial repellents in super heavy deer pressure neighborhoods. I'm talking about gangs of deer that stroll around helping themselves to all the landscaping, and they aren't much bothered by frenzied gardeners hollering and pitching 5 gallon buckets their way.

I have two favorites that last around 2 to 3 months, even after rains. I'm not affiliated with the companies, but I don't know if I can post their trade names. PM or email me if you'd like the pertinent details.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The fencing is working!~

It's only on three sides, but we put it up based on their path. We live in green Oregon. If the food is not easily accessible, they move onto the next farm. I can't believe it! We wish we had done it last year!

And the coolest part was that I called our local John Deere and they gave us a SMOKIN! deal on the netting as they wanted to be rid of it. I still have 1 1/2 rolls left to put up elsewhere. The 10 ft t posts were the real expenditure. but worth every penny and we can ALWAYS use t posts.

My friend is a hair dresser. i'm picking up hair on wed. I'm going to sprinkle it over by where they enter our fields.

We too can shoot if they are being a nusince. We could get a kill permit too, but then we have to clean them, call it in, and deliver the deer to the mission in town--which is spanky idea by fish and wildlife!

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One more thought. I know frineds who did the double short fence thing around their garden and used them it a s their chicken run. Brilliant!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Short of getting a LGD thats out there all the time, you BC will only chase them and end up getting lost and now you've got a bigger problem on your hands. Plus the deer will learn when the dog is out its time to leave when the dogs in its safe to graze on your plants. Your BCs going to have instincts to chase and want to herd the deer Id be working hard to discourage them from chasing.

One other thing to think about is during hunting season there are some folks who feel its their obligation to "deal" with a dog thats chasing deer. Its not right and I'd never do it but there are some folks who will. Just somethign to be aware of.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad your fencing is working! We did the same- cut off their path, and so far 4 years in, it is working. I have also read putting two fences close together- with a small distance between (4 feet or so) will deter them. They don't like to jump into a small space, they can't easily get out of....

Latest posts