ID weed for me?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
a) yes there ARE perennial sow thistles (called, unimaginatively, "perennial sow thistle" :p)

but

b) I am pretty certain that ain't it, it certainly is nothing like any of the annual OR perennial sow thistles with which my property is sadly infested :p

Now that you mention it, though, it DOES look somewhat like globe thistle (Echinops) foliage, and that IS feral in some locations. Hm. Could be.

I'd suggest pulling most of it up, but leaving some to flower for positive ID :)

Pat

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That sure looks familiar from my childhood days in upstate New York but I don't think I ever knew what it was. (Ain't I a lot of help?) :rolleyes:

hennyjenny

Sprout
Reaction score
I don't think it is a globe thistle. The leaves are quite large, like the size of your hand. And it's not picky. I don't remember it flowering last year, but I didn't look too closely - last year we unpacked, this year we are actually getting things done.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG! :frow

I think it is Whiteflower Leafcup ... it's a native woodland plant.
It probably won't hurt to leave it be if you don't mind it... :)

Plant database

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lavender, I think you may have won the prize!

Asteraceae family and a native of the Great Lakes region and south . . .

HennyJenny's:

6892_weed2.jpg

Lavenders:
2106030.jpg

Another:
Polymnia_canadensis_plant.jpg

I suppose that we may never be convinced without genetic tissue testing . . . ;) . . . How about a flower photo later in the season, Jenny?

Steve

hennyjenny

Sprout
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I suppose that we may never be convinced without genetic tissue testing . . . ;) . . . How about a flower photo later in the season, Jenny?

Steve
A pic will be a lot easier to do than genetic tissue testing! :lol: I'll post back when it blooms! Thanks for everyone's help. This is a fun site.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

2ndtimearound

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This year, I made myself promise to learn more names of weeds and try to REMEMBER them!

I've never heard of leafcup either, but I do have a wooded area and now, here I have learned that there's a whole other class of weeds/plants that are "woodland" plants! :th

Looks like I really need to study up on weeds! Thanks, all of you, for teaching me a new one!:thumbsup

Latest posts