Ideal Chickens for the Home Flock.....

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hoodat, I think it's a tie between the two. I have one of each but they have not started laying yet. I'm not even sure if they are males or females yet but I am leaning towards female. They do not have drake feathers yet and my Khaki Campbell quacked like a girl.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Aren't Khaki Campbells supposed to be the best layers among the ducks?
Welsh Harlequins are a khaki campbell derivative and lay eggs as good as khakis. The only ducks that lay better than khakis and WH are Indian Runners. I have had all 3 breeds and like the WH more because they still have the broodie instinct and are way more mellow and friendly than runners or khakis.

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What do you want chickens for? Eggs, meat, or just ornaments? If you want eggs get either the red sex links or the black sex links. The Gold Comets and Red Stars are the same as RSL. We have 30 RSL's and we're getting 26 to 27 eggs every day from them. I sell 2 dozen a day to my co-workers for $3.00/dz and they're gone with 10 minutes of me getting to work. Sometimes they line up outside my door waiting on me to get in. My neighbor's daughter won't eat any eggs unless they come from my Gals.

The Gold Comets are people friendly and not given to be broody. In my opinion they're the best layers. The BSL's are about the same and I think they're very pretty chickens. We'd have probably gotten them but the local supplier didn't sell any last year or this year. If we add more it may be the BSL's next spring.

Latest posts