Identify berry plant

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my parents had one of those bushes when i was a kid. i can't remember what they called it. i just remember i was told not to eat it. it certainly looks like a Nanking,

i remember the Autumn Olive tree & being told those aren't edible too, but i've since found those berries are edible but just very sour unless you turn them into jam. they make for a wonderful jam!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's the leaf I have trouble with, I just can't find anything to match it. It looks like it's at the end of its growing season so maybe that is some of it.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with @Smart Red it is NOT a Nanking Cherry. Yes they look like the berries on the honeysuckle bush from my childhood. Non-edible. Birds even leave them.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi IrishRose, and a belated welcome from north Idaho! :frow

I'm wondering if it could be Lonicera xylosteum? Common name Fly honeysuckle, or European Fly honeysuckle.
The leaf seems to be a good match, and the berry is what made me think of honeysuckles. There are such a wide variety of them!

Here's a picture of one in bloom.

4583.jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://enature.com/fieldguides/enlarged.asp?imageID=26523

check this out

alert_large.gif
Warning Berries may be mildly poisonous if eaten. Sensitivity to a toxin varies with a person’s age, weight, physical condition, and individual susceptibility. Children are most vulnerable because of their curiosity and small size. Toxicity can vary in a plant according to season, the plant’s different parts, and its stage of growth; and plants can absorb toxic substances, such as herbicides, pesticides, and pollutants from the water, air, and soil.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My field guide to wild edibles says not to eat any that come in pairs like that, poisonous. Perhaps it would take large amounts to make one sick. Yours is some type of honeysuckle bush I think. Thistle's guess looks likely to me. We have wild honeysuckle bushes (don't know the latin or given name) that have berries in pairs like that. The Autumn Olive berries closely resemble, but they are singular and random and they are edible. Some things the animals and birds can eat, but we cannot.

Red currants are larger and are borne in clusters on short bushes. Definitely not a red currant.

And welcome to TEG, by the way! :frow

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got one response so far on the Name that Plant forum, possibly Lonicera tatarica. Looking at a picture the leaf looks narrower than the ones in your picture. Thistle just might have nailed it, when it blooms the color of the flowers should narrow down the possibilities. If anyone else on the NTPF comes up with another suggestion I'll post it.
Annette

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
no my point was somethings need to be cooked or treated before being edible. I think a certain weed needs to be boiled 3 times before being safe to eat.

Pokeweed, often known around here as inkberry (or to gardeners, that %&^*$^&$ purple stemmed weed that sprouted in my garden where the birds sh**t and grows so tall it shades everything else). And it's only the new shoots that you can do that with.