Identify this for me please?

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I stand corrected................

I think you are right about the May Apple.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would say 100% for sure it's a may apple. Their stems are not woody. They are up right now and are a harbinger of morel hunting season, my favorite time of year! It will make white flowers that hang beneath the umbrellas. I've never tried the fruit, but I hear it is edible.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh yes that is for sure without doubt mayapple. To confirm it, notice that some of them are single "umbrellas" while others are Y-shaped "double umbrellas", and the doubles mostly have a flower (well, maybe just a little bud, yet) coming from the crotch of the Y.

Mayapple is generally regarded as somewhat poisonous to livestock etc, but they don't often actually eat it. So whatcha want to do depends on your personal ideas about risk-tolerance.

It is a common native woodland species.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

justusnak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
I have confirmation....it IS May apple. My brother has been a grounds keeper for 20 years....and he happened to stop in for the weekend....we went mushroom hunting in my woods ( didn't find any) but he confirmed it IS May Apple. Thanks again!!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
May apple is used as a substitute for mandrake in herbal medicine. It needs shade and wet ground. I've never seen it become really invasive.
The leaves are mildly toxic and the roots extremely so. Goats are pretty good about not eating poison plants but i'd keep them out to be on the safe side.

Latest posts