ID'ing That Weed

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like to forget about them through the winter. Ahhh! The weedless time of the year ...

After awhile, I become embarrassed that I'm spending so much time on them in the spring and have once again, forgotten what they are! Many of our weeds are common to gardens, worldwide! They adapt well to the entire process.

I've made good use of the Virginia Tech guide (LINK). But, I've gotta guess at the name to find the ID, easily. The pictures are great!

Recently, I came across Oregon State University's weed guide (LINK). I don't find the pictures all that wonderful but browsing them, may make a search a little quicker. Click the name to see more information and pictures.

Do you have a favorite weed guide?

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Helpful! I pinned them both. Although for the grasses, I will have to study up on my botany terms. I am more of a visual learner!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Helpful! I pinned them both. Although for the grasses, I will have to study up on my botany terms. I am more of a visual learner!

same here, it takes me a while to memorize things and i never did get very good at taxonomy. i did have botany in college, but we did a lot of study on mosses because that was what the instructor was into. it's all interesting to me. life is amazing in all forms...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since @ninnymary says that there just might be weeds in her garden 😨 but she can't be sure -- I thought that I would update this 5+ year old thread :).

Updating is necessary because both those links no longer go anywhere. I believe that Virginia Tech still has a weed guide but the last time I looked, I was immediately entangled in the botanical descriptions! They updated too and made it difficult.

For the layman gardener, some of the botanical descriptions aren't very helpful. Vocabulary. We aren't likely to know the descriptive words that might be helpful! Common names are often multiple and regional but scientific names ... well, we ain't never heard most of those!

Here's a weed seedling guide from Montana State. Remember, most garden weeds are invasive and have spread all over the world! These aren't solely Montana's problems. This is a rather lengthy pdf file. I like the index which includes both common and scientific names on the same pages.

LINK

Garden plant seedlings? The UK gardeners have a useful site with lots of photos. Since you know what you planted (in that weedy soil ;)), search for the name. Then, scroll down to the "seedling" photos.

LINK

I Hope This Helps.

Steve

Latest posts