If its a disease... I've caught it!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So, you all know I've contracted early tomato blight already... now my cucumbers and canteloupes have Downy Mildew!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!

(Did I mention we've had HOT dry weather, and its irrational I would have contracted this at this point in our climate. But go figure!!!!)

Its the FIRST reported case in my county too... can you believe that?! I get everything known to man in my tiny garden. Its so bad, I found it on NCSU's department of agriculture website where they are tracking the disease.... so I report it to there website and someone came out to take sample today. Its obvious what it is, and they are testing the strain in a lab and going to send me the results on how bad it is on my canteloupe. Issue is.... one strain does not cross between plant types?! She said what my cucumbers have should NOT effect my other curbit plants?! BUT my canteloupe are showing signs... so they took samples. Cross you fingers I don't have some crazy new strain or something.

Anyways.... I have passed on pest problems for straight diseases this year.... go figure! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow,

My first thought is how wonderful that you have 'people'! Folks to come and diagnose and to give clear advice. I would feel much more at ease knowing that the problem is being analyzed.

I guess it would be a good idea to not use any of your refuse for your compost. Also marking the areas and giving those spots a rest or doing something different.

I sure hate to hear bad gardening news and I hope this is the last of it for a long long while.

Goodluck, Ron

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, the people who came out are from NC State university and they are doing a study of it trying to be able to start guessing where and when huge out breaks in the state will be... and give warning out to farmers state and even east coast wide!

I was also told that the type of cucumber I have they use for their studies.... straight 8.... and that they have been randomly testing each county by planting 4-5 plants around each county in the state to use as a tool. They want as many people as possible to give reports so they can follow wind patterns and such.

I'm really bummed.... but they looked at my tomatoes and said they look like they came back from the blight VERY well and she knows that the early blight has been a NIGHTMARE for early plantings on the east coast all the way to Maine!!!

Thank goodness mine were VERY hardy and the fungicide did a good job only losing me a few plants.

Its just been rough on my tiny 200 sq ft garden. :(

Not the most possible first year gardening!

Latest posts