If You Shop Farmers Market

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I understand Mary, I don't have that kind of time either, especially for just a bit from a farmer's market. Sometimes you just have to decide if you trust them or not based on conversation. If I do buy something and the taste is not there the trust is gone. Some things you can't tell that much difference but some things you sure

I'm so glad they offer samples. Many times I have bought or not bought based on the taste. But if I'm going to make my delicious peach cobbler and company is coming, I defintely buy the peaches from the farmer's market. In years that I haven't had enough tomatos for my salsa which is rare, I will buy those from the farmer's market too.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
one reason why i much prefer to just grow things to give away than to get into the market gig. ... we have sold a few things here or there (when we put up tomatoes Mom has sold by the case to some friends to at least recover the cost of the jars), but other than that i just don't want to get into a business. there's enough room here and a good location for a veggie stand. busy enough corner, etc., but to do it would mean a lot of work and having to hire other people to help and once you get into hiring others it can turn into a mess rather quickly. legal issues, insurance, paperwork, ... bleh... i don't have time for that non-sense.

at least in MI if you want to sell things as being home produced you can do this and clearly mark them as coming from a non-inspected facility. up to some limit in $ (i haven't looked it up but i think it's $10,000). this is clearly labelled and honest in that a person knows what they're getting from where. that's one thing i consider important, another thing is to say what's in it. if it being locally sourced is a selling point i'd be sure to put that on the label.

The fact remains unless you grow it yourself, you'll never know where it comes from. All the more reason I would prefer my customers to make their purchase at my farm where they can see what their getting (despite bobm's impression of all farms) I'm slowly gaining a customer base that are repeat customers for a reason, I have no desire to S**T anyone out of their hard earned money for any reason, I don't need to, I earn an honest pay check from a full time job, and farm on the side.
You would be surprised at how many times some of my customers are excited that they have found somewhere they can buy the things they don't want to grow. Either because they don't want to work In the garden, or their just lazy, who cares, one fact I have found out in life, if your honest, work hard, and provide a consumer a good quality product at a reasonable cost you will succeed. It may take you longer to earn peoples trust, because of low life's, but eventually you will succeed.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have found out in life, if your honest, work hard, and provide a consumer a good quality product at a reasonable cost you will succeed. It may take you longer to earn peoples trust, because of low life's, but eventually you will succeed. So true so true :thumbsup