If you want something done right...

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did indeed finish the dress my daughter asked for and then another with a matching one for her doll--but I actually came here to crow!

My daughter has been keen to learn how to sew since I made a table cloth for her picnic table and she realized all the possibilities. As a firm fashionista, what better way to get the exact outfits you are dreaming of then to sew it all yourself?! Obviously this is what a 5 year old needs to learn.

First, she used an old piece of scrap cloth to get the hang of the sewing machine on, just doing lines and curves.

I have long given up on the "you're too young for that" so I found her a pattern that was easy, and off we went.

She needed help cutting out the pattern on curves, getting the elastic in the pants, and of course how the pattern went together needed explained in great detail, but she did it!!View attachment 66183
That's beautiful work! 😍 I taught my kids how to sew at that age. I had them start with basic pillow cases. I let them choose the fabric and then then they sewed them with the machine with my supervision. My oldest daughter also hand stitched a beautiful pink cotton nightgown when she was 5!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's beautiful work! 😍 I taught my kids how to sew at that age. I had them start with basic pillow cases. I let them choose the fabric and then then they sewed them with the machine with my supervision. My oldest daughter also hand stitched a beautiful pink cotton nightgown when she was 5!

I was thinking something simple like that too! She wanted pajamas though, and was undeterred by small things like fine motor skills. She didn't even know how to use a button before she learned how to sew on a button. 😂

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh she's already browsing for a pattern for slippers and a house coat to go with the pajamas. I think keeping her in fabric is going to be the big problem!

it is really too bad people live so far from others... we often have scraps and donated fabric that Mom can't use and she passes it along to various people who can use it.

if you nose around perhaps you can find a quilting group or fabric shops that might have some scrap bins or other things that can be used. bulletin boards can be useful too in posting for wanted items.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My daughter made herself a dress when she was four years old. While she is no fantastic seamstress, she can make school costumes and various things.

Latest posts