If you want something done right...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
If you think you need a heavier needle use it. You can always test on a scrap of fabric, but thinner needles can snap if stressed. USUALLY, they break and are attached to your thread. Sometimes they go flying.
I rehomed my older metal trash can with a lid (where you step to open) to my sewing room so that broken needles and bent pins wouldn't get stepped on by falling out of a plastic trash can. Just some fyi.
NOTE: If you err and use too heavy a needle it can just snag the fabric, which is why testing is always a good idea.
DD's think it is magic when I ease in a sleeve! :gig

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a wonderful time with my daughter going to the fabric store today. She asked me to try to make something new, and all the pieces I've purchased are super small swatches fit for Barbies. I didn't buy a large amount of any one fabric cause who wants a dozen shirts/sweaters/dresses that all look the same?

She picked out a unicorn fabric, and I helped her find some cute solids that would match it, and....
dress1.JPG

dress5.JPG

Don't be fooled, she looked like she was getting a prison mugshot taken until I held up roast beef in front of her eyes. Leia apparently doesn't find dresses as fun as we do.

Dare I tell her that my daughter also found some Rapunzel and Butterfly prints?

...perhaps Sandy would like a gorgeous new dress instead...

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you I need your help! I apparently don't know how to put a sleeve in. I did this dog hoodie but one sleeve is clearly on backwards, and I don't know how to tell which direction is which on the oddly shaped pattern piece to know how it goes in. Any tips for getting sleeves right?

Attachments

• IMG_20230428_124716.jpg
    IMG_20230428_124716.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 59

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you think you need a heavier needle use it. You can always test on a scrap of fabric, but thinner needles can snap if stressed. USUALLY, they break and are attached to your thread. Sometimes they go flying.
I rehomed my older metal trash can with a lid (where you step to open) to my sewing room so that broken needles and bent pins wouldn't get stepped on by falling out of a plastic trash can. Just some fyi.
NOTE: If you err and use too heavy a needle it can just snag the fabric, which is why testing is always a good idea.
DD's think it is magic when I ease in a sleeve! :gig
We once sewed a sail with an old Singer sewing machine and broke a lot of needles! We got the job done though! That thing is great! I got it as a gift 30 years ago! It still runs great! I love it!

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In grade 8 Home Ec I sowed the wrong seams on the draw string pants that we had to make. When I came out of the dressing room the whole class busted a gut laughing. The pant legs were only up to my knees, and the rest was all waist. :lol:

P.S. I think there are marking pencil type tools for sewing. My mom used to use those to mark seams I think. If memory serves me correctly one of the markers looked like a little bar of soap.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
The more time you spend sewing, the more time you spend HAND sewing, like basting.
If you recall, I mentioned the dreaded "ripping out a seam" on my Valentine's Day pillowcase project.
We used to sit in the office of the costumer hand sewing and or ripping out seams.
ALWAYS time consuming.
Btw, middle DD made her wedding dress (2011) and spent HOURS hand stitching it.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
The more time you spend sewing, the more time you spend HAND sewing, like basting.
If you recall, I mentioned the dreaded "ripping out a seam" on my Valentine's Day pillowcase project.
We used to sit in the office of the costumer hand sewing and or ripping out seams.
ALWAYS time consuming.
Btw, middle DD made her wedding dress (2011) and spent HOURS hand stitching it.
I think I might try basting it in and just seeing how it looks. I tried pinning it in and thought I had it, but I think you need to truly turn it inside out to look.

The owner of the pattern actually got back to me and drew me an entire chart on how to put it in. I feel very encouraged for my next try.

Unfortunately, don't know when that will be because my husband and daughter all appeared at my side yesterday with a naughty gleam in their eye. They showed me a hand drawn picture of the dress they want me to make. This one's a human dress ;-)

I told them that's a rather big step, but we're going to the fabric store today to see if I can find a pattern and appropriate materials. I have the feeling if this is successful my daughter won't ever wear a store bought item again lol

3:19farmandoutdoors

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My daughter is really into dolls right now. This year for Christmas she got a whole tone of Barbie and Chelsea (Barbie's daughter) clothing. I have no idea who makes this stuff, but it is obvious that who ever is doing it doesn't play with the dolls. Some of the clothing straight up doesn't fit. Others are really tight, or the straps are so flimsy they break. My daughter was in tears because she can't even play with her own toys without a parent there to help undress/dress everyone.

Well a quick look at the clothing revealed this stuff is stupid easy to make, so off to the craft store we went. This is the first piece I've made for my daughter. She loves it, and she can easily undress/dress the doll herself. I'm getting a sewing machine so I can make a full wardrobe for her. It arrives Tuesday!

I'm going to make her a full wardrobe. View attachment 54319
blees her heart ❤️