Reaction score
Here is a little White:

snow+gif.gif

digitS'

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww...thanks for that one Steve. I need to see snow for it to feel like Christmas. It's 67 and sunny today. Had to take my sweatshirt off while working outside at the gym this morning. Too hot.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
How would I spell the sound I make when I stick out my tongue and let go with a wet raspberry? :plbb Plu-lu-lu-lu-lu-lu-lu-lu-lu-lu-lub :plbb

Mary, I feel so sorry for you. A NEED to see snow is a huge problem when temperatures run in the upper 60's At 67, I wouldn't have put on a sweatshirt.

It is sunny here, too, today. We have 8 inches of enchanting white covering the ground and 1/4 inch of glistening ice coating the trees, shubs, weeds, and wires (streets, sidewalks, parking lots). High temperature will reach 7 degrees with a windchill of -5 from a low last night of -12 degrees. Beautiful day! Just perfect. I just might go outside and rake the roof.

:frow Wish you were here, Mary, :gig and I was there.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A very sunny day here, Mary!

It is 37°f and not quite as warm as yesterday afternoon but more sun!

Anyone hoping for Christmas picture in the snow will have to stand in the shadiest part of their yard.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most of the snow and ice melted here just over a hundred miles north of you Mary.

My side of the lake got to 52 degrees today.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
SmartRed, your landscape does sound beautiful! Yeah, you probably wouldn't have worn a sweatshirt but I'm a wimp when it comes to being cold. Never been in temps that cold. What does it feel like? :lol:

Mary

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I can tell you what it feels like!

It feels like you are wearing layers and layers of clothes. Each little draft of cold air that finds its way in you figure a way to seal off.

When it gets even more cold, you start noticing that some breaths are through your mouth while your hand is over your nose to warm it. Other breaths are through your nose while you warm your lips and teeth.

Oh wait. I'm describing 44 below with a howling wind. Well, that'll work for you to describe 10 below.

Cold like that feels like...if you need to go a couple blocks to the store for sugar, you layer up, get all prepared for 20 minutes or more, get to the door, open it, can barely see past the porch...and you decide, who needs sugar? Black coffee sounds like a real treat today! Even if you hate black coffee!

Cold like that feels like...ya know the top part of your thumb? right near your thumbnail...right there...it's like a thermometer. Unprotected at 44 below, it feels like ..... (not good)

Course then, us lower 48'ers are greenhorns compared to someone who lives in central Alaska, who might call 44 below kind of a chilly day!

In defense of where Mary lives, the chill in the air of coastal california is chillier than the temperature. Not because of wind chill so much, but because the particles of fog and moisture makes it like wet air.

Montana's cold winters come with dry air. At least where I lived. Coastal California's more moderatemps come with wet air.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
With all that humidity, who wants to be the same temperature as the air if the air temperature is 62°f?!

When I lived on the California coast, I was cold all the time (except for the week each year when I was too warm).

freezing fog here - everything is kind of white. well, it is white! even the sky is white!

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was born here in south-est, central-est Wisconsin and honestly, the cold doesn't always bother me. I dress for the weather. I am the vanguard -- preaching that warm is 'cool'. I start with underwear, then cuddly duds, then sweat shirt and jogging pants, then the down-filled parka with a scarf, mittens over gloves, boots, and a furry lumberjack hat. Add a face mask and safety glasses and 30 below zero is a walk in the park.

Yes, I look like a bear ready to hibernate for the winter, but I am happy and warm. If you are happy AND warm you are at your best. Doing your best is cool, therefore, "warm is cool"!

I spent one winter in Portland, OR. That I couldn't take! Day after day of clouds and drizzle with a chill that went deep into my bones. Even indoors I could never warm up. Nope, give me Wisconsin weather.

Latest posts