I'm almost ready. (large pics inside - sorry to the dialup people)

aee96

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I got 5 new raised beds made this weekend. All I need to do now is put the mulch down around them all and I'll be ready to plant. Hopefully I can get that done next Saturday so I can begin planting on Sunday. Whoopee!!!

Garden02-22-09003.jpg

My onions are looking good too.

Garden02-22-09004.jpg

Garden02-22-09005.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh wow... you did a good job!!! Those onions look to be doing fabulous as well. I bet it was a fun weekend. :mow

aee96

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
homesteadmom said:
Can you grow root crops all yr long there like i can here?
Pretty much, I think. This is my first attempt at onions, garlic and shallots. I planted them all in mid November. Hopefully they will be ready soon as I already have stuff planned to follow the onions!

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
aee96 said:
homesteadmom said:
Can you grow root crops all yr long there like i can here?
Pretty much, I think. This is my first attempt at onions, garlic and shallots. I planted them all in mid November. Hopefully they will be ready soon as I already have stuff planned to follow the onions!
I am a zone 8/9(depending on who's chart you look at) & I can grow root crops yr round here. In fact potatoes grow better in the winter here.

aee96

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
amyquilt said:
:drool

What dirt mixture do you use in your raised beds?
My local dirt/mulch place had a new blend this year. It was 1/3 reclaimed potting soil, 1/3 topsoil with horse manure, and 1/3 top soil (different top soil). It looked really good. I'm going to test it this weekend to see if I need to add anything to it. It cost $26 a yard.

I can't wait to start planting!

LlamaBeans

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Looking closely I saw that you had corner braces in your raised beds and I was wondering if those were needed or not. I am planing on having raised beds of my own and I am learning all that I can before hand.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, talk about full sun! How much rain do you get during the year - and if not much, how do you keep it watered?

Latest posts