I'm blaming it on spring

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
At the endof last week we hit 85* it rained all weekend, was sunny but super windy yesterday and last night it dropped to 8* the only thing in my veggy garden is my garlic...however my forsithia is in full bloom my lilac has budded as has my apple and my crab apple...there is a pink and green blushes on all the trees... I'll bet they wish they had waited to come out...

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:hide :hide :hide sorry guys, you all have heard about our weather, I just don't think I could stand what you all are going thur.
I just hope the rest of the year get better for you

Don

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
. . . and last night it dropped to 8* ...
As in Fahrenheit, Pam!!!!
:th

Good Heavens! What might that do to the orchards?!?

Dragging on and on, that's what our local weather may do with any season. Everywhere people say, "if you don't like the weather wait an hour . . ." That can be true here because it is fairly windy and storms can move quickly. Still, if you are really, really honest about that statement, you probably live in mountains where there is air movement up . . . down . . . and, sideways! Then, there are places with tornadoes but let's not talk about that
:hide.

Weather has always been the agriculturalist's big challenge. I'm not a gambler. I'm a person who feels it necessary to act on the basis of faith. It is my lot to live for a few years out of millennia. I will behave in a certain way because of that knowledge, understanding that there were generations of farmers and gardeners who came before me. It seems that the question of "What would Grandma do?" doesn't come up for many of us until we don't have grandma around to ask.

Of course, we have new technology and different opportunities . . . (I'm afraid that it would occur to Grandma to fire up the smudge pots under her fruit trees if temperatures dropped so low!)

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Thistle, sorry about your weather. If it makes you feel any better...6 of my collective farm women melon seeds have sprouted in my 15 gallon container! Now, I just have to decide which to keep. Wish you had my problems. :(:(

Mary

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's raining cats n dogs here right now. Another cup of coffee or 23, put my shoes on and get to it. Got a couple dying Firs to cut, clean, measure, and mount into the perimeter of the new section of my garden come rain or...more rain. On the plus side, looks like we won't have a drought this year.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Oh Thistle, sorry about your weather. If it makes you feel any better...6 of my collective farm women melon seeds have sprouted in my 15 gallon container! Now, I just have to decide which to keep. Wish you had my problems. :(:(

Mary
Woohoo Mary! That's exciting! Sure wish you could post pictures...

Oh, really the weather is just doing it's pretty normal weather thing, like Steve said (sort of :p . )

But poor Momofdrew! 8 degrees! You have my complete sympathy. Sounds like fruit might be scarce this year over there.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
It has not stopped raining here. Nonstop. All day. I got one of the dying firs cut and set near the garden. Other one will wait. After cutting that one, a quarter mile away an old oak fell across the road, had to clear the road, and got soaking wet again.

When ya pray for rain don't complain about the mud. Lake is rising fast.

lillie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I suppose you all can blame it on me. :hide

After a remarkably warm and snow-free winter, we've had an entire month of temperatures that have been a good 30 degrees above normal! The trees are leafing out and the perennials are coming up a full month early. We haven't even dipped into the 30's at night at all this month (well, maybe in the very beginning) but I actually have a TAN after spending the last two weekends cleaning out flower beds, pulling weeds, and pruning stuff. In a normal spring, I'd still be waiting for the snow to melt.

Sorry guys - I'm stealing your sunshine! :p

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:old

Hay, it stopped raining! Soon's my coffee kicks in I'm getting to it on my garden perimeter. Got some skinny logs to process and stuff.

:weight

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
lillie said:
I suppose you all can blame it on me. :hide

After a remarkably warm and snow-free winter, we've had an entire month of temperatures that have been a good 30 degrees above normal! The trees are leafing out and the perennials are coming up a full month early. We haven't even dipped into the 30's at night at all this month (well, maybe in the very beginning) but I actually have a TAN after spending the last two weekends cleaning out flower beds, pulling weeds, and pruning stuff. In a normal spring, I'd still be waiting for the snow to melt.

Sorry guys - I'm stealing your sunshine! :p
Well I was going to name this thread "I'm blaming it on lillie" but I didn't think that was very nice of me.

Latest posts