I'm in Oklahoma. Are any others in Oklahoma?

Stinky Puddle Ranch

Leafing Out
Reaction score
sred98 said:
South of Bixby, here! :welcome If you're south of Norman, are you Zone 7B? I'm Zone 7.

I'm finishing up my tomato planting, and a few more peppers right now. Trying Kiwi vines for the first time, and just got done replanting my corn...darn chickens! :tongue LOL!

What all are you growing?

Shelly
Hiya Shelly (sred98)!

Yes, ma'am. I am in 7B.
Ohhh, Kiwi vines; how fun. You must let me know how they work out. :tools "Yum!".

I have small Salsa garden going (tomato's, peppers (all sorts), onion, garlic), green-beans, greens and spinach will be next. I'd love to plant more corn - IF I can beat the crows off. They aren't afraid of the fake owls anymore. LOl @ your chickens.... greedy feathered friends. :p In addition I like to start a few other vegs. just not to sure which yet. This year will be my first "big" garden. Normally, I just have a few things. So I am getting geared up. :weight

I' like to grow more stuff... I have to figure out the whole 'canning' thing first. I'd like to learn how to can in jars like my Grandparents did. But, I don't think I'll be using the ol' school pressure cooker. I have seen the lids fly through the ceiling more than a few times in my childhood. This weekend I will price the newer cookers and try to figure it out. I'm SO excited.

Ok, soooo my apologizes for the Novel. lol
How are things after the storm? At one time we had 3 tornado's around us (10 mile radius). The closest being Little Axe School. I knew something was going to happen as soon as I heard on the radio that the Tornado was ontop of Lake Thunderbird.... we were super nervous. I hope you and your family are in good spirits and all is well.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Stinky Puddle Ranch said:
hoodat said:
I lived in Oklahoma for years and still have 40 acres there but due to family circumstances I had to relocate to San Diego.
My forty acres is near Wister (Green country). Where are you?
We live in Newalla. We are just Southeast of Norman (not to far from Lake Thunderbird). We have had our Ranch since 2001.
I sure hope none of those twisters got near you. I hear they had some wooly boogers out your way.

Stinky Puddle Ranch

Leafing Out
Reaction score
... there were three around us at one time(with in a 10 mile radius); with the closest one being 2 miles away. I live not to far away from HWY 9 (S.E. of Norman) and there was a school (Little Axe School, a Grocery store (Country Boy) and a Church that was demolished in the tornado's path. A few homes as well.

It was very scary. Outside of the loss of Electricity, no mobile fone usage (towers down), a few down trees and limbs and some debris; we are safe and sound.

Over 14k people are still w/o Electricity and so many people are dealing with damaged and/or lost homes, etc.. So sad. We are definitely counting our blessings.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My home place in LeFlore county is on a ridge and the twisters tend to follow the valleys in hill country so we seldom had problems with them.
I once had one pass twenty or so feet over my head. That'll get your attention.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
On crows and corn planting... planted my whole patch and crows dug up every single seed. When I planted again, I covered the area with the deer netting- laid it out and put rocks in the corners to hold it down. When corn was up a couple inches, gently pulled up netting. No more problems...

Stinky Puddle Ranch

Leafing Out
Reaction score
@ lesa

That's a great idea. I haven't thought of that. Makes since too being all they ever want are the seeds. ;)

Good luck on your crop too!

-------

@ ducks4you

Hmm, I don't have any trees near my garden, I suppose I could use the posts that are in the corners and string some string along the top of them. Good idea.

I never thought of CD's/DVD's for the garden... I use all the ones that I get in the mail (junk mail) or the ones that are scratched/ruined (for whatever reason) for reflectors in my driveway. My driveway is a 1/2 mile long. They make great reflectors too. :D

If the netting doesn't work I will have to try your idea.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
VVolfpack said:
I am from OK, Henryetta. I just joined today.
Welcome! Ive got a tiny garden in Yukon
Mine is small too, but am gearing up for a bigger one this coming season. Based on chicken tractors and guild gardening. Trying to go more towards sustainable choices. Attempted a fall garden, but wasn't prepared enough, nothing except a few potatoes came up, I'll be more prepared this coming season. I'm going to attempt a little cold frame construction/planting in this next few weeks, never done it before, it's all a learning experience for me.

Latest posts