I'm Kindof A Big Dill

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm sure we all are. ;) Hello! I'm an urban gardener and a big fan of herbs and I love looking at my cute pots of thyme, basils, mints, dill, and rosemary. Aside from the wonderful smell, I add them to my cooking--which is another thing I love to do. I also have gardenias and poinsettias, but the herbs are my fave.

I see a lot of urban gardens that also grow big veggies and even fruits, but I'm a bit hesitant to try. What's your best urban gardening tip? I'd love to give those a try!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Could you put your general location in your avatar? It really helps to know where you are, when giving out advice. I am in northeast Texas. Gardening tips here are vastly different than say......for Maine. LOL

We used to live in a small town 70 miles north of Houston, Texas. I gardened all year long. Now we live 160 miles further north, north of Tyler Texas. Now I can't garden through the winter. So location matters LOL

We used to live a few blocks from downtown. I kept hens in a coop in the backyard and would let them out to free range. Hens are quiet and none of the neighbors cared. I made beds between the driveway and sidewalk, about 4' wide and made brick walkways between the beds. I planted flowers and vegetables in the beds to make them attractive. I planted tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, green beans, mustard, turnips, lettuce, onions...…..We ate well from my vegetable and flower beds.

I will be glad to share with you how I grew a garden on a small lot in town.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are lots of ways to grow on a small lot, in-ground spots, raised beds, containers, hanging plants, It would help to know what you have to work with. Shade can be an issue.

@ninnymary is great about growing a lot in a small space, has chickens, and has a business. I'm impressed and amazed at how she manages things, plus keeps it looking pretty while running a business from home. She is proof that you can do a lot. There are others that do a lot with little too. You're in good company here.

WildBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Welcome! My best tip is to to just do it! Don't spend forever worrying over every detail, just set a basic plan and do it! The rest will come.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
hi and welcome from mid-Michigan. no specific tips other than to grow what you like to eat and start small and learn as you go. diversity in plantings is often a good way to learn a lot but some people don't have enough room for that.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi, and Welcome from Southeast Missouri, zone 6. Definitely grow things you like to eat. Don't go overboard the first year because it sometimes is a real pain trying to keep the weeds out. It is better to see how much time you have to do the maintenance, weeding, watering, harvesting.
Lots of good advice on this forum. Research the archives, and have fun!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sure we all are. ;) Hello! I'm an urban gardener and a big fan of herbs and I love looking at my cute pots of thyme, basils, mints, dill, and rosemary. Aside from the wonderful smell, I add them to my cooking--which is another thing I love to do. I also have gardenias and poinsettias, but the herbs are my fave.

I see a lot of urban gardens that also grow big veggies and even fruits, but I'm a bit hesitant to try. What's your best urban gardening tip? I'd love to give those a try!
Try and try again.It is always an experiment for any microclimate. Fail? Try a different way.

Latest posts