I'm moving and need shade flowers

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello everyone. It's been a while.

I'm moving in September to an adorable little house back in the woods. I've lived in the middle of an open field for the past 7 years. All of my landscaping is for full sun. Now I'll be needing part- to full-shade landscaping plants/flowers.

I attached a picture of the house (it's currently being worked on).

You can see on the left side it gets some sun. The right side gets none.

I want to add some evergreens or shrubs so I have something green all year long. I want to line the sidewalk on both sides as well. There are 2 mature oak trees at the end on the sidewalk too that I want to plant around too.

I love color! Reds, purples, yellows, etc. I currently have black eyed Susan's, coneflower, daisies, purple salvias, irises, and day lilies.

Any ideas for plants and design would be great!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 308

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi StonyGarden, that awning on the window on the right suggests that sun will be coming in there at some point, maybe when the leaves are off the trees. That will be something you will want to watch for as the seasons change and the sun creeps south.
As for flowers, impatiens are your friend for shade, and come in wonderful bright colors. Bulbs should do fine, too. Hostas are great for shade. You have lots of options.
Planting around the base of the big trees may not be practical due to the roots taking all the water, but I don't think oak trees are as bad for that as are the maples. You may want to do potted plants around the trees, and use benches, rocks, statuary to make it unique.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are some really good landscapers on here. I'm not one of them. In Southeast Virginia you are going to have some pretty hot summers, probably not really dry though. Your winters will have some freezing days but the ground is not going to stay frozen. That's not too rough but all that shade is a problem. Even harder will be that some of it is partial sun and some really shady. I don't have those conditions, I'm pretty much full sun everywhere, so I won't make any specific recommendations. I just don't have that experience. I'm confident you'll get some great suggestions from others on here. You might want to chat with your local extension agent or maybe local master gardeners for specific recommendations for that area but I think full shade will be pretty rough.

Good luck!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just got a Burgess fall garden catalog. Web site is WWW.eburgess.com they have some interesting shade ground covers and plants.

We moved in February to 8 acres. We have full scorching sun and deep shade to figure things out. I'm going to buy a lot of bulb flowers for spring color. Burgess has several pages of shade plants.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know you didn't ask, but your porch needs help. I would at least ad some railing.There are so many shade plants. would be impossible to list all. Have fun with your new garden.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cute house!

For shrubs, rhodies are always a good filler, and these days there are some more compact varieties that don't overwhelm a small space.
Yews are good foundation plants too and there is a bright green variety that can lighten a dark shade spot,( but no blooms).

Astilbes, bergenia, polemonium, pulmonaria, thalictrum, ligularia, Solomons Seal,
brunnera, ferns, hosta, bleeding heart, hakonechloa ... for a few perennials.

Sweet Woodruff, lamium, creeping jenny....for a few ground covers.

Sounds like so much fun!

Latest posts