I'm Scared!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve..I didn't understand your comment about putting in containers and freezing. What did you put in the containers? Unfortunately, I have even less freezer space.

As a side note: I went to the rummage sale and didn't find any jars or the book. :( But I did find 16 paperbacks! :))

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I just used tupperware containers (cup size) for apple & pear butter.

The containers went in the freezer.

. . . the only real canning I've been involved in dates back to being a kid and helping Mom.

Steve :)

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We really love canned pears around here, we also make applesauce that I'd delish. Don't forget to slice up some apples and freeze them for holiday pie fillings. Free fruit for the picking is really hard to pass up.

Apple & pear butter OMG!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mary, deep breath! No worries, once you start, do 1 fruit a little at a time. Really, its fun, you're actually going to have such a good time doing it.... if you mess up once, you won't freak because you don't mind doing it again. Fruit is easy because you can waterbath it. Start with fruit in syrup! Its WICKED easy so you can practice the waterbath process, and once you feel good about your sealing then move on to preserves/jam. That demands a little more... but not much. The ball canning book is a good investment though, you won't regret that at all. :D

If you have an concerns or specific questions, you know you can PM me! :fl I know you'll do great, and soon you'll be addicted!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ninnymary... you dont have to buy the ball book you can get recipes and how to on line... I found some great recipes on www.Allrecipes.com if you buy one box of jars that is a dozen jars which is about 2 batches of what ever... if you enjoy it buy another case of jars...I found Tractor supply the least expensive...you dont have to buy a canning pot right away... if you have a pot deep enough to cover the jars with 2 inches of water all you need to do is place a towel on the bottom of the pot and it prevents the jars from giggling around...after you've made a couple of batches you will know if you want to get serious about canning...to make jams etc you need sugar and pectin and fruit...and if the fruit is free all the better...to pickle you need salt, vinagar, sugar and spices...it is really easy to make apple butter or peach jam...I got my canning pot at a rummage sale...and over the year have found jars at sales too...lids have to be replace after each use...

As for storage I store all my canning supplies in my barn you only need to use the supplies a few days of the year...and perserved food goes on shelves in my cellar...

now take a deep breath and enjoy :D

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to call the people tomorrow and see if I can go pick the fruit this Sunday. I'm kind of bummed out because I didn't find any jars at the rumage sale, craigslist, or freecycle. :( We don't have a Tractor Supply near by. Guess I'll check to see if Walmart has any jars. I already have the canning pot. I don't know what fruit is ready, so we'll see! I guess I should have planned better. :/ Worse case scenario..I'll give the fruit away if I don't have all my supplies.

Mary

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mary, if you want a canning book you can buy used books on Amazon - I buy all my book used - much cheaper. They have the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving for $7.93.

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
I'm going to call the people tomorrow and see if I can go pick the fruit this Sunday. I'm kind of bummed out because I didn't find any jars at the rumage sale, craigslist, or freecycle. :( We don't have a Tractor Supply near by. Guess I'll check to see if Walmart has any jars. I already have the canning pot. I don't know what fruit is ready, so we'll see! I guess I should have planned better. :/ Worse case scenario..I'll give the fruit away if I don't have all my supplies.

Mary
Mary, do you have any freezer space? You could freeze some fruit to use later or even jam later. There are also freezer jam recipes (haven't tried any myself, though) I froze bags of apricots - just washed and pitted them. Gave alot to my sil last year and she made apricot sauce, jam, chiffon pie and lots of things all winter. This year I froze my cherries when they were ready - washed and pitted so I can jam them, etc when I have more time. Apple slices frozen make great pie and desserts in the mid of winter.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
OMG! :ep I went to talk to my husband who was in the garage replacing our water heater when I looked at a shelf with a box of mason jars! I wasn't sure if it had something else but no..it has 12 quart size jars!!! They must have been there 20 years or so from when I made applesauce. Now, there's no excuse, I have to make something. I can't believe my luck. Maybe it was meant to be. ;)

JoJo no I don't have any freezer space. I have a side by side that doesn't seem to have a very big freezer. My preschoolers go through bread and tortillas like crazy so I stock up.

Mary