I'm Scared!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some friends of ours have a mini orchard that the fruit just goes to waste. They have said I can go and pick whatever I want. I know they have apples, pears, asian pears, grapes, etc. I'm thinking of going this weekend and picking up some fruit to CAN!!!! The only thing I've canned before was applesauce and that was years ago.

I'm really scared of investing in jars and buying the Ball Canning book and then messing up! I don't really know how I will can the different fruits. I haven't mentioned this canning venture to my husband because I think he will roll his eyes! He already thinks I put to much effort into my gardening when according to him we could just buy the stuff!

Mary

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Buy the stuff, well the nerve of some people :lol: :lol: where is the fun in that? No really we haven't canned in years, but over the winter will be getting everything we need to give it the ole college try, he may think different after he has a taste...it't kind of funny that at one time I wouldn't eat anything that I could see the dirt still on..
But now I can't wait to help pick and weed and water..knowing where it came from, and what was put on it to kill bugs..
Nothing like home grown now..
Good luck, you won't know if you don't try

Don

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I understand your apprehention. I have just started canning this year and LOVE IT! Even my husband is kind of hooked. ( You know in a manly sort of way ;) ) I would suggest figuring out what you think you want to make and what you will need for jars. Make a batch of each one. If you like the way it comes out...then, go get more jars and fruit. That way if it doesn't, you won't have a huge investment. And seriously, FREE fruit! How can you go wrong? Can't wait to hear how you make out! :D

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Go for it, mary!! But...with this word of caution...take it easy on yourself! You dont want to hate it because you picked 50# of fruit, and had to can for days and days straight. Just plan a batch or two a day...sounds like you will continue to have access to this fruit, so no need to rush! If your hubby doesnt help, maybe you could invite a friend to help, and split the canned goods?! Makes it a lot more fun, and faster, to have help.

popsgumdrop

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi Ninnymary. Don't worry too much about that. I made some fig preserves this year. It was my first time canning and I was nervous, but they came out just fine. Once he has some home made grape jelly or apple preserves he'll be glad you put so much effort into this stuff. Yum! :drool

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do it, Mary! It's really not that expensive to get started BWB canning. The fruit is free, the pot lasts forever, once you buy the jars they can be reused-just have to buy new lids, lil sugar, lemon juice, maybe some pectin-buy that in bulk if you can btw- and you will be set. Tons of sites on the net to tell you what to do and not to do-you could hold off on buying the Ball blue book. The possibilities are limitless!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
The canning project just seems monumentous! This afternoon I am going to a big rummage church sale. Maybe I'll find jars and the book. I really don't have storage space either. That's another worry. My library is already in the washroom downstairs!

Mary

popsgumdrop

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Storage space is a problem for me too. The worse thing I did when we rebuild our house after Katrina was to take out the storage closet. It was about twice the size of a regular bedroom closet, like a small walk in closet. It wasn't huge, but it was a good size storage space. I didn't live in the house before the storm, so I didn't really realize what I was loosing there. I'd really like to put that back up. My kitchen is overflowing. For now my canning stuff is on a top shelf in a corner cabinet in the kitchen, but I have lots of other stuff that just sits in a corner on the kitchen counter drive'n me nuts.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
The canning project just seems monumentous! This afternoon I am going to a big rummage church sale. Maybe I'll find jars and the book. I really don't have storage space either. That's another worry. My library is already in the washroom downstairs!

Mary
Mary, I can understand the storage issue. I was wondering if perhaps you have some room outside that you could make a little storage for the fall and winter? My daughter was stationed in Alameda for a while and I would think that with your temps, canned goods would be fine during the cooler months. Just an idea. And really, you can take advantage of canning without canning hundreds of jars. One batch of jam is roughly 6 small jars. A few under the bed storage boxes may work for you too!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
. . . The only thing I've canned before was applesauce and that was years ago. . .
If you have made applesauce, you can make apple butter.

If you can make apple butter, you can make pear butter. Yummy!

If you need recipes, I'll find them around here somewhere. I didn't can them, just put them in little containers and froze. Awfully good stuff, Mary!

Steve

Latest posts