improving potato yields..?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,
Year after year i get low yields of my potatoes. I did not harvest/ dig up this year's potatoes yet but as you might guess, i'm not expecting a big yield. Would anyone know of ways i can increase the yield for next year and beyond?
i do earth up my potatoes which helps a little.

Thanks!!

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not sure... I got about 50 lbs from a 20 foot row... is that a good or bad yield?

What I do is let the chickens hang out in the potential garden spot for about 4 months. In that time they go though about 200lbs of feed that mostly ends up in the soil. To plant, dig a foot deep trench and place in a seed potato, cover with an inch of soil, and just fill in the trench and mound up over the season. :idunno

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
silkiechicken said:
Not sure... I got about 50 lbs from a 20 foot row... is that a good or bad yield?
Are you kidding, thats a great yield, wish i got that much. I'm probably going to start harvesting the potatoes in a week or so and see what i got under there, hopefully its plenty.

chickaD

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Can you add some compost to that part of your garden? Our potatoes respond well to it, when I remember to do it. Or maybe if you could put some aged manure there, the fall before planting the next year's crop...

I like to use Root Crops Alive (available from Gardens Alive) for bigger yields of spuds & beets.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

chickaD

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Bills - Thanks for the great link on planting depth. This might explain why years ago I got such an "underwhelming" yield from Russets! :/