Impulse Buy: Coleus

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I dont know what to do with it now! I just love it, but I dont really have a lot of shady spots here. It is so sunny all year, that we have to plan on a little less sun then suggested, so I am thinking they need pretty much all shade.

It says 4-8 hours of sun, but I am not sure that I have anywhere that only gets that much. We have a lot of trees, but as the sun moves through them, most places still get a lot of sun.

But I am still thrilled to have it! It is so beautiful. How much room does it need?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think filtered light would be fine, better then straight on light. So find a nice spot under the overhang of a tree. It sounds like it would do good.

I've looked for a spot around here for such things, no good! I think Coleus are pretty... especially all the one's with LOTS of pink in them.

Now I don't have any shade in this yard.... the ONLY tree we have is pretty much dead and has all of 20 leaves on one branch left.

insiderart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've grown coleus in full sun. Just make sure you water it amply.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
it depends on what kind of coleus it is. sun coleus for example can handle sun much better than other varieties.

insiderart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've even grown that light green/chartreuse which one would logically assume might only grow in the shade. Most important thing is to harden them off to the sun before transplanting. Can't just take them directly from the shade to the full sun.

We would just put them in a wagon or something and pull them in and out of the sun for a week or so... or let them get full am sun up to say 10am (depending upon your area) and then start gradually increasing their stay in the sunshine. Just make sure you keep them well watered. If their leaves start to droop you should water more frequently (this applies to after you have planted them also).

Coleus are nice because they can bring some really bright colors to shady areas all summer long. They are not, however, restricted to the shade and can do quite well in sunny spots. In very sunny areas, their color may not be as vivid as it would in the shade.

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Don't forget to pinch out the flowers so the the foliage grows and flourishes. The plants are all about the gorgeous foliage not the tiny little flower heads.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there!

If everything else fails grow it insde by a window. :D

Or, better still, erect a pretty small awning somewhere, something quirky or artistic; & put it next to an ornament that tones with it! Then you will have a talking point AND an excuse to buy other shade-loving plants.......!!! :lol: :gig

You could make a virtue out of necessity, have fun with it! Good luck!
I am just off to my quirky garden!! :celebrate

:rose Hattie :rose

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I did think about making it a houseplant, but I would kill it for sure in the house. :/ Plus it is a six-pack, so that would be a lot!

I just got it at Walmart, Vfem. I have never seen them here before either.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
what i would do is take some cuttings from each one and put it in some water in a sunny windowsill and in about 4 or 5 days they will start rooting. that way if you kill any of them it wont be the end of the world.

coleus are one of the easiest plants to root.
here are two varieties i have. ive have like 20 rooting from them now.
Picture4392.jpg

Picture4359.jpg

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
when I was growing up coleus were house plants period
My gramma had a few in her house along with impatients and sansaveria sp?

Latest posts