In defense of winter

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something I've been thinking about lately.
It could be that I'm the Lone Ranger on this one, but I really do like winter. I like the dramatically different view out the same windows. I like the time off, when it's impossible to garden or do yard chores. It gives the old body a break, not to mention the mind, as I think differently during the winter.
I am happy to sit here, sometimes quite unproductively, looking things up online, or reading articles I've set aside during Crazy Time, without feeling that load of guilty anxiety that I'm neglecting more urgent chores.

And as I was out shoveling the 6 inches of new snow this morning ( happily! ) I thought of how beautiful all that pure untracked
whiteness was.

It makes spring and summer all the more glorious, this involuntary break from doing what we gardeners love doing.
Like that tall glass of water when you are positively parched, nothing quenches better than simple water. But how would you know that if you never got truly thirsty?

Winter gives us that thirst. It's also just plain beautiful most times.

So, today anyway, I like winter! :p

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think of winter as the time of year most plants get a good nap. i do prefer to see snow on the ground instead of the dead/decaying leaves and the grungy looking ground that isn't lush or alive with the growing and blooming plants. it just seems so drab outside right now with no snow but cold temps keeping everything from growing. :rolleyes:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do love winter, too. I love snow and lots of it. I think many of us have experienced a rather mild winter so are anxious to get back to gardening. We are being teased with unseasonably warm weather. I planted cool weather crops in my green house today. Just a few seed directly into the soil. It is way too early but, what a hoot if the radish or lettuce seed sprout.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, today anyway, I like winter!
~ this day (Sunday) ~
~ this time of year (when days so obviously lengthen) ~
~ this winter (January weather didn't occur) ~

:cool:

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
So, today anyway, I like winter!
~ this day (Sunday) ~
~ this time of year (when days so obviously lengthen) ~
~ this winter (January weather didn't occur) ~

:cool:

Steve
Ha! Okay, you're right, I'm shallow and I have a memory deficit problem!! :D

I'll admit, it's easier to love winter when spring is starting to seem like it really will come, and I haven't spent 4 hours shoveling knowing I'll have to repeat the process tomorrow, and when the days are noticeably longer....

But... I really do enjoy winter!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Exactly what I was going to say! Winter seems a lot more beautiful, when it is almost over! Enjoy your lovely snow....

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like winter. We lived in South Georgia for 4 years in the 90's. It was nice at first but then it got old. I like my four seasons, but I do get envious when everyone's starting gardens in March and April and I have to wait until the end of May.

I like the crisp air in the fall. I like the first good frost to kill off all the pollens in the air that have been aggravating my allergies. I like the break you get in winter but in Feb. I am done with it and want to get out of the house.

I want what I want when I want it!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle', I think you must like winter all thru the year.

I remember that last year your avatar did not lose 1 snowflake even after our spring cold went right on into June. When we were (thankfully) having record warmth in late September, the snow flakes persisted. . .

It was good that you didn't have too much January snow, I suspect. We kinda got it "covered" with higher elevation snow - would need to do some checking on that . . .

I can take quite a bit of heat but, mostly, I think I need fewer hours of darkness . . . . NOAA says we may reach 50F, mid-week. We haven't seen that warm a day since Thanksgiving-day weekend!

Steve

Snowing . . .

Edited: Washington State is in very good shape with the exception of the Far East. Quartz Mountain in the Selkirks 16" water in 56" of snow as of today. February 1st report of 69% of normal at Chamokane Creek near Long Lake. Idaho reports: "124% of normal in the Boise basin" & "85% of average or better in the Upper Snake, Salmon, Clearwater, Spokane and northern Panhandle."

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Thistle', I think you must like winter all thru the year.

I remember that last year your avatar did not lose 1 snowflake even after our spring cold went right on into June. When we were (thankfully) having record warmth in late September, the snow flakes persisted. . .
Yes, poor guy. But as you well know, that's how it is here in the "snowbelt".

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
snow%2520gif.gif