in house worm box.. I took the plunge!

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
okay you guys convinced me, so I got a empty coffee can off my gram and bought a can of worms. So tonight I put it all together with newspaper bedding. I am so excited to see how they do. I plan if they do well and multiply then I will make a bigger home for them and then keep a few on the counter in the coffee can. :rose

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
woohoohoo!!
There is no stopping you now!
Make sure you keep fresh air available to them-ya know, don't put the lid on tight. hehehe
Don't worry THEY WILL NOT CRAWL OUT!
My bins both have opening at the top(old aquariums) and NEVER an escapee. I do see worm tracks on the glass but that's it.

Have fun recycling.

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks! I put some holes in the lid do you think that will be enough? I never thought of using old aquariums.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My husband would freak if I even mentioned such an idea! I think I will let nature send the worms to me where I need them... long as mother nature keeps the gophers OUT!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
nightshade said:
okay you guys convinced me, so I got a empty coffee can off my gram and bought a can of worms. So tonight I put it all together with newspaper bedding. I am so excited to see how they do. I plan if they do well and multiply then I will make a bigger home for them and then keep a few on the counter in the coffee can. :rose
Good for you! I love my worm bin. I keep it in my bathroom and have had it for about a month now - the worms seem to be happy because they've just about finished all the food I put in it and none of them have tried to crawl out to find a new home!

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My parents are worm crazy!
I visited them this week-end and they had to show me the 2 new worm bins they just bought.
My mom grabbed a handful of worm poo and shoved it under my nose, "Smell it! Smell it! It doesn't smell does it? Isn't it wonderful!"

Ok it smelled.....:lol:

And then they turned the bedding :sick that stunk!!! Like rotten pizza :sick

But I do love the nice worm poo for my garden.......:watering

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Catalina said:
My parents are worm crazy!
I visited them this week-end and they had to show me the 2 new worm bins they just bought.
My mom grabbed a handful of worm poo and shoved it under my nose, "Smell it! Smell it! It doesn't smell does it? Isn't it wonderful!"

Ok it smelled.....:lol:

And then they turned the bedding :sick that stunk!!! Like rotten pizza :sick

But I do love the nice worm poo for my garden.......:watering
:lol:

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
My husband would freak if I even mentioned such an idea! I think I will let nature send the worms to me where I need them!
Why not put some in your outdoor compost? Your climate would prolly be easy year round. I've had them winter over zone 5 anyway, and I guess the little worm eggs are even hardier.

After our worm stacker filled up, we got lazy and started new indoor worm bins w/o drainage for the ongoing kitchen scraps, but this far from spring, yet, I realized the older one especially was too wet and anaerobic, so we drilled holes on bottom, sat the bin on a couple bricks over extra matching lid on floor to catch the wormwater, and I'm using it on some lucky houseplants. (I was bragging on another thread about not even bothering with drainage holes, so I'm settin the record straight. Drainage holes are a good idea duh. :D ) I got some $5.00 (50 gal?) colored bins that coordinate with my kitchen. Before the kitchen compost bucket would overflow until we got them to basement bin; now we toss scraps right in. I love having having worms in the kitchen with me!

Anyway, it really is so easy I can't believe it took me so long to start.

Latest posts