In the greenhouse at night?

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yeah, it sounds very exciting to have your own greenhouse... as an alternative for outdoor gardening, Kudos!! keep it up. I expect it to be very very beautiful.
Having a greenhouse is a very expensive extension for a garden. I wish i can make one, Even just a small one.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We get some really gusty days and hail every so often, to a greenhouse is out for me. A lot of people that have back yards flanked by trees can have a greenhouse bc it blocks the weather and just lets the sun in. VERY jelly of anybody's greenhouse...more jelly of anybody's indoor arena.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We get some really gusty days and hail every so often, to a greenhouse is out for me. A lot of people that have back yards flanked by trees can have a greenhouse bc it blocks the weather and just lets the sun in. VERY jelly of anybody's greenhouse...more jelly of anybody's indoor arena.

i don't consider it economical enough to look into it, but if they ever come up with a strong enough material to stand up to the wind and hail that isn't based upon plastic it might be worth it. right now i just day dream of building a very tiny one room house inside a large greenhouse that goes over it and a pool so i can swim and garden all year round, but to be able to keep such a large area warm enough during the winter here is really a pipe dream. underground would be much more possible and likely as you can insulate that and use the thermal mass of the ground itself, but even then you'd still be doing some kind of heat pumping for warmer weather crops because the ground doesn't get all that warm either around here.

believe me, i've thought about it and studied it and daydreamed and plotted and graphed and will keep watching what solar power panels do along with what you can harvest from the sun for heat just using some solar energy to run pumps which move your heat captured by solar hot water panels... *sigh* :)

the killer here for most things like this in our area are the long periods of cloudy weather.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cloudy weather is also our winter-growing problem. Add to that, the low angle and few hours of winter sunlight.

When I first looked into having a backyard greenhouse, I really planned on supplemental lighting. I just couldn't justify all the gas and electricity that it was going to take to grow most things through the winter.

After several years, I tried Asian greens. Carried out the 18' bench, cultivated the ground beneath, and put in both seeds and transplants. No heating. It worked! ... except for January, after the transplants had been harvested and the seedlings were still to small. I had to cover the bed with a plastic tunnel and use a tarp over that during the coldest weather.

It was all quite a bit of bother for such a small growing space. I couldn't even make more use of the full 9'x20' greenhouse, first of all because I had to walk in there. Also, because the plants couldn't be too close to the plastic film south wall - too cold! It was worth the effort but I was left with a 3'x18' bed.

Now, the greenhouse is over 20 years old. At some point in the next few years, the south wall will have to be taken out and replaced. That isn't a very big job but it needs to happen when the weather is cooperative, when I don't need it for the growing season plant starts, and when I'm not busy through the summer. Hmmm, or, I could hire it done.

Steve

Latest posts