In the Potato Patch

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DSC01065.JPG

Absolutely the biggest bok choy of 2014 - growing on the bed that produced spuds at over 1#/square foot! And, this is a "baby" bok choy variety!

:) Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
finally got the rest of the spuds pulled earlier this week to get them over to the local fair on Wednesday so they could be judged in time before the fair started yesterday. i don't know my results yet but i put in a basket of the Purple Viking, and 5 of each of those, Banana Fingerlings and Magic Molly Fingerlings. i should have put in some of the Irish Cobblers too but i didn't think they would have done well enough this year, i was really mistaken since i got some good sized spuds from that one too!

by the time i got through pulling all the spuds i have the following totals:
Purple Viking: 55 lbs
Irish Cobbler: 22+/- lbs
Banana Fingerlings: 13 lbs
Magic Molly Fingerlings: 5+/- lbs (planted 4 spuds i got from the winter farmers market)
All Blue: 10+/- lbs
and some russet long potatoes that i found 1 plant was growing in the middle of my PV: 3 lbs don't know where this one came from :idunno
total was over 100lbs of spuds!

now that i think of it, i still have spuds that came up on their own from last year's digging that i missed. so i have some more PV and some Katahdin i need to pull.

dh and i are planning on slicing most and canning them. others we'll probably make into fries and freeze for later meals since we found the All Blues taste better that way. the blues i think taste mealy so i don't like them much for baking or boiling. Magic Molly and Banana are new to me this year so we'll have to give them a try soon. think i'll like the Banana's better though.

i'm curious if there is a recipe for canning mashed potatoes that anyone uses? i LOVE mashed spuds but thought it best not to put butter or any milk in it for fear it could spoil.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
oh, i meant to post this. while going through my spuds to enter in our local fair i found this guy looking at me.

it's a one eyed, purple people eater!
2014 Purple Viking Potato.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ack! I'm reporting that one to the USAF ufologists. Obviously, an escapee from Roswell . . !

@ninnymary , that soil was in good shape to start with. The potatoes got a side dressing of fertilizer and compost over the top as a hilling technique. Also, bok choy going from cold to hot - bolts to seed. It doesn't necessarily follow that bok choy going from hot to cold bolts . . . :)

The next bed over from the bok choy was where the shallots were growing. I can't brag on shallot production, ever ... However, the harvest time for the early spuds and shallots is about the same. You can see zucchini (today, blackened by frost) that were set in the middle of the bed in July. There's also the parsnips, which occupied the end of the bed from early spring. The parsnip seed didn't germinate well (old) so some kale went in to fill the spaces. That bed is crazy - but productive!

Anyway, still in the bok choy bed - you can see the Tyfon Holland greens. All better, after their severe transplant shock. I need to admit that the ones I didn't transplant are much larger.

The little veggie garden is something of a crazy quilt garden but I take special pleasure in succession plantings and filling space with transplants from elsewhere in the garden or from the greenhouse.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, your little veggie garden sounds like my pernnial bed. In a couple of weeks I will transplant some beets that I have in my wheel barrel to the pernnial bed wherever there's room.

Mary