Indispensable apps

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Or, are they just do-hicky, do-dad thingamajigs?

I have found 1, after months! I flat could not find a way to get a photobucket picture link without their app! What good is a gallery if I can't show what I have there?

The email must be an app but I wish it would sync better with what is online. Maybe Evernote has an app. I don't seem to be able to use it well on this tablet. What is important for you on your "device?"

Steve

HEChicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am pretty new to a smart phone and I didn't want to overload it with apps. That said, I found one that gives me the sunrise/sunset time for my zip code and I do enjoy checking on that. This time of year it is nice to watch the days get longer….

I guess I haven't found any yet that I couldn't live without.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since I have managed to live without a cell phone, let alone a smart phone or tablet to the venerable age of 66, I guess there are no apps important to my life. (in truth, my son gave me a cell phone 8 years ago. I turn it on when I'm away from home -- when I remember. These 'devices' don't work out here anyway.)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The app I like best is when you turn it clockwise, the device turns on. When you turn it counterclockwise the device is turned off. Most others I can live without.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The app I like best is when you turn it clockwise, the device turns on. When you turn it counterclockwise the device is turned off. Most others I can live without.

This is also called a kitchen timer, RidgeRunner?

Ding!!

Time&Date, @HEChicken ?

@Nyboy , those "preferred customer" cards they impose on their "preferred customers" have been replaced?!! Whoa!

My weather station's short range radar won't loop on the device. So, I rushed to the app store & got a radar express. You know, the WS long range radar will loop . . . I wear my glasses . . .

I read the NYTimes free articles when I'm in a parking lot with no wi-fi. Hey @Smart Red , you'd be surprised where you can connect to the internet these days! It isn't just in the coffee shops anymore! As I pulled to the curb outside a closed library branch the other day, I was wondering why there were 2 cars parked in its lot. When I took out the tablet so that I could upload a picture that I'd just taken, the thought occurred to me that these people in the cars could be doing pretty much the same thing . . !!

@ Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm addicted to the ipad. Things I use every day:

Facebook - duh

Safari - internet browser - for TEG and wunderground weather - duh

Zite - awesome article gathering app - you tell it what general topics you have an interest in, and it downloads articles. Then as you read them, if you tell it "Yes I like this" it gets more articles with those keywords, and you can also tell it "No I don't like this one" so it won't get articles with those keywords or from that source anymore. LOVE it.

Zillow - I house shop every day, just for fun.

Pocket - it stores those wonderful articles you read in Zite (or other apps) that you want to keep to refer back to. Wonderful for recipes, garden ideas, etc.

Pinterest - occasional visits.

I have 3 map/travel apps - you'd think one would suffice but I use them for different things.
GPS HD MotionX - mapping software that keeps track of data on your movements - good for mapping bike rides or hikes
Maps - I think this is the Google app, I use it for navigating in cities or while driving - the maps are clean and easy to read, but don't work offline
Topo Maps - this is for backcountry use when there's no service. You download the map for the area you are going to be in, and can access it even out in the boonies, and it shows you as a little bouncing GPS ball. This has saved me from taking wrong turns while hiking or biking a number of times. If I'm not sure which way to go, I check the app, see where my bouncing ball is, then walk 1 way maybe a hundred yards or so, and check the app again to see if I'm on the trail I wanted to be on.

GoSkyWatch - ID app for stars and constellations, so fun! You point it up at the sky and it shows you what you're looking at.

Pandora and TuneIn Radio - streaming music

I would have tons more apps if I had a newer device. This one is so old I can't update the operating system anymore, so a lot of newer apps don't work. There's an apple photo editing app I would have, as well as some bird ID apps. Someday soon...ipad mini with tons of storage!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Weather Channel and My Radar are used every day to check on our weather and friends/family.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look at that Heather!!

I forgot about the app the library told me to use -- OverDrive. I may not be thinking of everything as an app that is - the camera software is an app?

Okay, I'm having real problems with online maps. But, I don't think I will be getting lost in the mountains. The 100 yards down the trail and 100 years back because I've gone the wrong way - that's just about my walking distance anymore. I wish it wasn't so . . .

I can't believe that I'm using Wikipedia coordinates to find things on google maps and then using something called . . . Acme Mapper to find the little google streetview guy so that I can get a picture of what I'm looking at on the map. Sheesh! Well, there's more behind that Wikipedia coordinate than one is likely to ever imagine but there must be a google app! A map app . . . snap!

Steve
this thing must have headphones . . . hmm?

Latest posts