Indispensable apps

HEChicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hmmm...I guess I should look into it more closely, and get my facts lined up. When I've had to shop for a new phone on our providers website, the smart phones were an additional $39/month with the data plan. It appeared that you couldn't get a phone without also paying for the data plan....
Oookkaayyy….yeah, that's the problem. If you get one through your provider you have to renew the contract, usually for two years, and they force you to get the data as well. However if you buy the phone outright like I did on eBay, the provider has far less leverage and cannot force you to get any service you don't want or need. I have no contract and was able to choose not to have data. Plus I paid less for the phone itself than you ultimately pay when you get it through the provider and pay out the contract with data for two years.

I agree about the small screen. I've done a few internet searches at home but really don't care to spend a lot of time browsing on the little screen, when my laptop is only a few feet away.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What I discovered was that I downloaded an app for pbs newshour. Used it once in about 6 weeks. I can't imagine watching a movie on a telephone. I mean, I didn't like to sit in the front row but . . . Shoot.

I do have the opportunity to stream a movie and "push" (?) it to my dumb teevee. Or, just push anything on the tablet onto the teevee. It requires a little hardware but isn't terribly expensive. I suppose if I bought it, the teevee would break within a few days and I would have to explore a smarttelevision purchase option.

Fortunately, I haven't found any movies I want to watch since Bogart and Bergman.

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ohyeah, another thing i do with my ipad! We have Apple tv (is that the hardware you're talking about getting Steve?). I can push 1 button and send a video or photo to the TV so hubby and i can both watch it. If you're thinking about getting the Apple tv widget thingie, i couldnt recommend it enough! We love it. It has its own set of apps, lots of good shows to watch - news, netflix, movies, PBS, Smithsonian, Discovery, lotsa stuff.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is a "Miracast adapter," Heather.

Wireless and sort of like Bluetooth, it is supposed to "work across brands," as Wikipedia puts it.

Steve

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am on this IPad a lot, but I do not own a cell phone. It is rare that I wish I had one, and I can't justify spending the money on something I might use on rare occasions. Maybe after I retire, if I end out driving around a lot or something....

For home phone service, we have OOMA. It's basically free! Your phone service comes through a cable modem. I am not a tech person, but DH is. You buy some kind of converter box, which was about $150. And then we never paid anything again! I think now new customers pay a small yearly tax. Of course, you lose phone service if you lose internet, but DH has a smart phone.

http://www.ooma.com/how-ooma-works

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Checked on tax - less than $5/month.

Steve

Strange fascination, fascinating me. Changes are taking the pace I'm going through.
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes (Turn and face the stranger).
Ch-ch-changes, oh, look out you rock 'n rollers!
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes (Turn and face the stranger).
Ch-ch-changes, pretty soon you're gonna get a little older.
Time may change me but I can't trace time. Time may change me but I can't trace time.
I said that time may change me but I can't trace time. . .

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love this thread. Ways to keep services without some of the higher costs.

I'd hate to give up my smart phone but eventually will as I don't want the $100 bill per month. Like concept of buying unlocked smart phone without paying for Internet time.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suppose you know that smart phones are a real target of thieves. They bring a real good price on the black market. The government is talking about requiring a kill switch so a smart phone can be killed and become worthless if it is ever reported stolen.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The iphone5 has to have your finger print to unlock. No matter thieves will figure out ways

Company I work for has iPads for us. One rep had it stolen and before we could hit the kill switch, they had it converted. Did leave the guy a thank you note. True story.

pjn

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Consumer Cellular has good rates if you want one with just some talk and text. If you are old(aarp member) you get a discount. Just got one needed for traveling.

Latest posts