Indispensable apps

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Want to try an app being developed to enhance your reading speed?

"We" claim the kids aren't readin' & raytin' but, you sure 'bout that? What if it was not necessary for the eye to move while reading? Some folks think that reading speed would increase with no loss of comprehension.

An app for the Millennial students: Spritz (link) . Click on the "click to spritz" and test your reading speed. I was okay at twice "normal" but the words & concepts are fairly simple. Would it enhance the entertainment value of reading? I don't know. I'll have to wait until they come out with the app, (and, maybe wait a little longer).

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That Spritzing was interesting! I think it would have been fun to have a selection of different sentences to read. I read through the sample and then realized you could change the speed. Once the speed was upped I felt like I was cheating because I already knew what it was going to say.:p

It's so amazing how the eyes design works with the brain to comprehend.
But I'm surrounded with wonderful amazing things that just blow my mind!

I think I need another chocolate...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I downloaded the Evernote app.

Without something like that, there's no word processing, right?

What if you want to write a letter with your smart phone?

Steve

;)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
iPhones have note capabilities so you can write a letter. I take meeting notes with quite often.

HEChicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I also use the notes feature that came with the phone. It is easy to pull up and I can dictate to it if I am home with wi-fi, or type into it if I am out. It syncs to my MacBook wirelessly (with no effort on my part), so sometimes if I need to make a note on my phone when I'm going somewhere (directions, shopping list etc), I will type it on my laptop, and it will instantly be on my phone as well.

The one issue I have with the notes is that on the laptop they are editable but as far as I've been able to tell, one the phone they can't be edited. So when I was at a Mother Earth News fair and trying to take notes on the workshops, if I made some notes and then a few minutes went by and the phone screen turned off, when I turned it back on again, I had to start a new note. So when I got home, I had 100 notes I had to amalgamate into one individual note per workshop.

I'd love to know more about EverNote - perhaps I wouldn't have that problem with it?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@HEChicken, I have used Evernote, emailing from my dum fone for a year or two. What I have found myself doing with it is sending notes when I am in the garden, especially. I played with it initially and like that I can put music there but I don't.​

Pictures can be directly sent to both email and Evernote. Of course, notes can be sent to email but I'm not cluttering up the mailbox. In Evernote, the note is easy to edit later.

I guess Apple must come with the word processing app? I wonder what DD does with an android phone and an Apple laptop. Probably doesn't have any syncing, I will ask.

I have learned that Evernote will not allow me to edit pictures but I can easily insert them into the note with the text. I have the free service and it reminds me of Notepad on the desktop. I still use Notepad a fair amount, especially if I am mostly copying off a webpage, messing with the text a little and then, maybe, printing it.

I don't save things on Notepad or I'm likely to lose them! The same might turn out to be true with Evernote but there are separate "notebooks" & it is all right there. It's right there no matter where I am, now. That is, if I have internet. In the "cloud," you know.

Steve

Latest posts