Indoor gardening

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the time of year when it really pays to garden indoors; when the price of fresh produce increases during the winter. Today we are enjoying fresh Silva romaine, grown indoors under artificial lighting. :cool:

Jack B

silva_zpsa3e5ffc8.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Delicious!!!!

We just had some lovely spinach the other night and cabbage last night. LOVE winter produce! (Long as we grow it ourselves of course.)

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have 12 plants each of Silva, Green Ice, Little Caesar, Fudanso Umaina and early wonder beets going. If purchased in the market it would cost quite a bit and be much less healthy.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yummy! That plant looks wonderful... one of these days. I really think I could be growing lettuce and spinach in the greenhouse during the winter months. One of these years, I am going to try it!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
Yummy! That plant looks wonderful... one of these days. I really think I could be growing lettuce and spinach in the greenhouse during the winter months. One of these years, I am going to try it!
The temperature in my greenhouse was 77 degrees this afternoon. If I noticed it earlier I would have brought my kindle and a cold drink and chilled out in there. :p

Jack B

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup, I saw my windows were open- so I knew it was toasty out there! Don't miss the opportunity on Saturday- calling for 50-60 degrees... I love a January thaw!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hey Jack! I got a small hydro kit for Christmas from the DH, and I'm excited to get started. I can grow 6 plants in it, and I'm going to get some seeds started this weekend, so I have seedlings to plant in it. Looking forward to greens this winter!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
Hey Jack! I got a small hydro kit for Christmas from the DH, and I'm excited to get started. I can grow 6 plants in it, and I'm going to get some seeds started this weekend, so I have seedlings to plant in it. Looking forward to greens this winter!
Great!! Please keep us posted on your progress.

Jack B

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My greenhouse is almost done. Hubby and I were working on it again today. It still needs the two roof panels where the vents go and the door. John hasn't finished assembling them but we did get the panels in and he finished with the anchors so it shouldn't blow away. I can't wait to be growing my own stuff in the winter.

JackB I thought you didn't have your greenhouse up in the winter. Are you heating it now?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
My greenhouse is almost done. Hubby and I were working on it again today. It still needs the two roof panels where the vents go and the door. John hasn't finished assembling them but we did get the panels in and he finished with the anchors so it shouldn't blow away. I can't wait to be growing my own stuff in the winter.

JackB I thought you didn't have your greenhouse up in the winter. Are you heating it now?
I closed the greenhouse early in November this year and I am growing indoors for the winter. Occasionally, when the sun is shining brightly, and the temperature is in the sixties or seventies in the greenhouse, I will move a half dozen olive trees in for the afternoon to enjoy the sun and warmth. I expect to begin using it again in mid March. I use the heater, set at 45, at the beginning and end of the season. It is automatic and I have it plugged in for protection in case of a sudden cold snap.

Good luck with the greenhouse. Think about a shade cloth, because as the sun gets higher it is going to get pretty warm in there in the afternoon.

jack b

Latest posts