Indoor gardening

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
JackB are you doing the T5s inside? Wondering about how much heat they produce.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
JackB are you doing the T5s inside? Wondering about how much heat they produce.
I use small 24" 24 watt T5, 6500k lights for seed starting. They will do 2 dozen seedlings comfortably. For growing, I recently switched from T5s to LEDs. Not that the T5s did not go a great job, but the tubes need to be replaced every two years or so. LEDs cost more initially, but should last 12 years. I grow 365 days a year, so it made sense to me to switch. The T5s did not produce a lot of heat; as a matter of fact, in my cool basement, inside the grow chamber, they kept the temperature just perfect. Here is a photo of them from last year. I gave the fixture to a friend yesterday, who will put it to good use in his basement growing lettuce hydroponically.

ig.jpg

jack b

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is awesome Jack!!!

I need to just make 2 shelves like that for seedlings...

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
That is awesome Jack!!!

I need to just make 2 shelves like that for seedlings...
Thanks Marshall. My wife was after me for years to enclose my growing area, and I wish I did it sooner. It took me two days to build it, but I am SO glad I did. The light bounces around and is reflected back and the heat from the lights keeps the temperature perfect. There is a small opening with a fan for ventilation, and inexpensive timers control everything. The panel on the right is counter balanced for easy removal and harvesting, with storage under the growing surface. I get to just sit around and read. :lol:

Jack B.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is SLICK!!!! I'm impressed!

I've seen grow chambers set ups like that because Michigan recently passed a medical marijuana law so there are a number of hydroponic suppliers setting up shop so people can sell their "crop" to the local distribution centers.

Anyway those set ups all had metal halide bulbs and those are a HUGE power drain. Buddy of mine has one on his reef aquarium. Super intense lighting but you can see the meter spinning like a top with the power it pulls. I use LEDs on my aquariums where I'm growing aquatic plants but I guess it never crossed my mind to do LEDs with a set up like that.

Are you doing hydroponics inside the grow chamber? I'm assuming your doing hand pollinating? Regardless that is really cool. I need to work some OT so I can get set up like that.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I only grow hydroponically indoors and I only use LEDs for growing. Nothing that I grow needs hand pollinating. The cucumbers are greenhouse varieties and peppers and tomatoes are self fertile.

11313.jpg

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Self fertile, never would have thought that was an option. Im going to have to seriously look into this. Thank you

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
To pollinate tomatoes and peppers you only have to tap the flower when it is open to pollinate them.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Really.....geez I'm sure once I get this project off the ground I'm going to be kicking myself for not doing it sooner

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is the grow chamber when I finished installing the LEDs. The small frame on the left is for one of the T5 lights that I use for seed starting. All systems have been planted now and it is fully operational.

jack b

leds.jpg

Latest posts