Indoor gardening

SherriCody

Garden lurker
Reaction score
I am a Toronto based Engineer. I got a good opportunity in Scarborough and will be moving there soon. So, I recently purchased a condo in Scarborough from Scarborough Condos as I’ll be moving there soon. My father loves gardening and I used to help him with gardening. He was very supportive of these. And that’s how I developed a taste in gardening too. Back at home, there are a lot of plants indoors and outdoors that we grew.
But since I’ll be moving to a condo, growing outdoor plants is out of the question. I want to decorate my condo by growing some indoor plants like Rose Painted Calathea. I am also thinking of growing some spider plants. They are good for removing pollutants like Formaldehyde and Xylene. But I don’t know any plant nursery in Scarborough. Even if I find one, I don’t know if these would be available there. So, If anyone knows any nursery where I could find these plant, please let me know. And if any suggestion about other plants that I could get easily grow indoors, please let me know that too.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
51vYNagGWkL.jpg

I suggest you include a complete herb garden, including ginger as shown above. Gingers are fun, easy, pretty and tasty, and often left out of the usual houseplant lists. Personally I would suggest grow light setup that include pepper plants, which are also attractive, vary wildy in colors and sizes and are tasty as well.
istockphoto-616881430-612x612.jpg
yellow-skinny-hot-pepper-plants-pepper-joes.jpg

Pepper Joes

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Sherri, welcome to the forum. Glad you joined. :frow

I'm not much of an indoor plant person but a couple I've found pretty easy are aloe vera (aloe barbadensis) and mother-in-law's tongue (sansevieria trifasciata). Aloe is a good first aid for a burn, needs plenty of light, and can't stand too much watering. Mother-in-law's tongue is really good at removing certain toxins from the air, likes well-drained soil, and can handle a variety of light. It can be toxic to cats or dogs so if you have these pets you probably do not want a mother-in-law's tongue.

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The mini-live roses you get at valentines day grow well in small container. I've also kept rosemary "tree" and basil alive. African violets do well inside.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oooh I forgot mini roses.. I have a small rose called cascade out front. They look excellent when laid flat but could trellis a wall as well.

Latest posts