Indoor greenhouse

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've seen these 'mini greenhouse' things advertised on ebay and other places. They're around $40 and have a plastic covering that rolls up in the front for access. Would this be warm enough in my laundry room for herbs? The temp stays around 65 in there. Or would I still need a heat or light source? This is my first attempt at indoor gardening.

Thanks!

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
do you have a link to the one your looking at? I think with the output of the lights it would get a bit warmer. My room is at 70F and with the aerogarden lights on. The base of the aerogarden gets up to 80F

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think light will be more of an issue than warmth. Hard to duplicate that full spectrum sunlight outside... I wouldn't bother with that greenhouse thing, unless you want it for outside- early spring, late fall. Inside you should be fine with just a grow light. Herbs in particular are pretty forgiving.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everyone has bulb recommendations that have or have not worked for them... If you just want to try it and not do a scientific study on lumens, etc. go to Home Depot and get a "Grow Light" bulb. I use an ordinary florescent tube bulb, myself. You should turn it off during the night- the plants need darkness as well.

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That is a nice one! We had one like that on the porch. I agree with lesa. I been using 6500K CFL's and they been working great for my houseplant. I would check out pros and cons of each grow light.

you have so many choices... Metal halide, LED, compact florescent light or CFL and florescent tubes. Plus there is more I cant think of right now

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hypnofrogstevie said:
That is a nice one! We had one like that on the porch. I agree with lesa. I been using 6500K CFL's and they been working great for my houseplant. I would check out pros and cons of each grow light.

you have so many choices... Metal halide, LED, compact florescent light or CFL and florescent tubes. Plus there is more I cant think of right now
Wow! Ummm...here's the problem lol If I don't know EXACTLY what to buy on my own and I mention it to DH he will end up building some huge complicated contraption. Probably custom ordering parts from one of his robot part suppliers from work. :rolleyes: I mean, it will work well but I'm going for simple here! ;)

I'm just gonna look for Grow Light at Home depot and some type of clamp holder. Will a brooder light holder work? I have several of those. If my plants don't grow I'll be back for more specific details on bulbs. lol Thanks!

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here are some pics of what I use indoors. Nuttin fancy, made of wood, about 2'X4' and 5' tall. There are 2 4' lights on each tier with 40 watt Sylvania Gro-Lux aquarium/plant lamps.

These pics show the plants in the upper position on alum trays. As they grow I lower the trays down inside the "contraption".

Sorry the one photo is so blurred but it will give an idea of the proportions.

Hope this helps.

THANX RICH

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It seems that every time I mention needing a grow light I get funny looks! :gig One person actually said "I wouldn't think you were the type" lol Apparently other people use them for less noble causes. :lol: much to my embarrassment!

I haven't made it to home depot yet, but my local trader horne doesn't have anything labeled 'grow light' neither does ACE. Is there something else it might say?

Thanks for the picture Rich! It looks like I'll need a light for each level. Correct?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you just want to try it and not do a scientific study on lumens, etc. go to Home Depot and get a "Grow Light" bulb.
Those are the lights that NEVER work for me. I just use 100w eq. CFL's and I have very strong starters. Also a fan on low in the room helps too.

Latest posts