martinbrenner

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I want to grow some indoor plants in my home. Can anyone help me out with this? I want some expert tips on growing indoor plants and trees. Please provide me with the basic things required to grow different indoor plants and their diet plan as well. Also tell me that how much light is required for the indoor plants.

I found some very good tips for indoor plants on http://growhero.com/.

Indoor-Gardening.jpg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can grow plants in any window of your house depending on their light requirements. South and west facing g are the best for plants that need a lot of light. Overwatering is the greatest danger to plants. You need to keep a watch for fungus gnats that will eat the root hairs of your plants. Each individual plant will have different requirements . All of that info is readily available online. Of course fertilizing is important there are tons of great products out there. I do not use clay pots-they dry out too fast.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Greetings, Are those you plants in the window picture? If so you're on your way. You notice some plants do great while others might be somewhat spindly. A spindly plant could very well be asking for a bit more light. Catjac mentioned over watering if the upper leaves of a plant are turning brown, that to me would indicate soil too wet. If the lower leaves turn brown or drop of, I would think not enough water.
Over feeding is a big problem, so it safest to err on the side of very little.

Plant something, anything you like, keep in touch with the plant, look at its leaves and stems, touch the soil, when no one else is around talk to it, your plant will give you and idea how it's doing.

Show us the plant, we'll tell you what we think. If it's doing great don't change the watering order or feed it. If you think it getting too large for the pot, you may be right, we'll tell you what we think, if you want that.
Have fun with you're plants, we'd like to see them. Welcome and best of luck.

Richard

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I want to grow some indoor plants in my home. Can anyone help me out with this? I want some expert tips on growing indoor plants and trees. Please provide me with the basic things required to grow different indoor plants and their diet plan as well. Also tell me that how much light is required for the indoor plants.

I found some very good tips for indoor plants on http://growhero.com/.

I'll mirror what the @valley ranch & @catjac1975 said, @martinbrenner: we're here to help.

There's no magic list of things to make this successful, and even if there was it's not fun to just follow instructions as that leaves no chance of wonder or excitement when you just experiment and something works for you :).

From your profile we don't know where you're located -- the pic is from a film website from 2013, so I'm guessing that isn't current --, so that will certainly impact what you grow, and when. So, where are you? If you are somewhere where your days are shorter right now (I'm in Minnesota) then you might need to augment the environment with lights to help the plants grow to a full maturity. You can do that on the cheap or you can sink some cash into a hardcore setup, that's really up to you. I wouldn't suggest jumping right into aqua/hydrop/aero-ponics setup, as you'll have enough to learn and get used to with growing without tossing an entire level of nerd on top of the situation, so stick with soil. Buy some cheap pots (plastic or clay) and focus on just getting the environment right, then you can get into what types of pots (cloth, airpots, clay, ...) work best for you.

Once you have that set it's time to choose what you'll grow. Follow @valley ranch's suggestion of basically just getting something going, it almost doesn't matter if it's an avocado pit or basil, though the basil will surely provide you with yum yums faster than an avocado tree. Once you get something going spend time with it and be patient. You'll have some success and many failures but after a year or two you'll get the hang of what works and what doesn't for you. The most important thing is to just have fun. If it doesn't bring you joy then it's not worth doing.

One of my favorite books on the topic is Gardening Indoors with Soil & Hydroponics by George Van Patten.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Basically what they said. Each plant is unique, cactus will have different requirements than basil, so if you can tell us which plants you are thinking of it could really help. There are different ways to set it up too, anywhere from using light from a window to setting up a grow light on a timer. Plenty of other variations too. Any help you can give on your plans, where you want to do this, or what you want to achieve can make it easier for us to help.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, @martinbrenn! Glad to have you here at TEG!

Living in the woods makes growing plants inside during the winter or summer a tough thing. Most of my house plants live outside every summer for that reason.

Now I am attempting to build a growing room in my basement. Perhaps, after some experimentation (and lots of advice from jackb) I can help you out with suggestions.

Latest posts