Indoor Spathiphyllum (Peace Lilly)

Wisher1000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have two beautiful spathiphyllum plants that were sent to me upon my Mother's funeral in Feburary of 2008. One is the large leaf type and the other is the shorter, narrower, more common variety. I think I need to repot them. I know that they like to be pot bound but both are using much more water than they used to and I would love to separate them into more plants. Anyone had first hand experience with these? I have read that they don't like to be repotted, that it is best done in the spring, and that it can lead to losses. I would hate to lose them due to their beauty and sentimental value. Any help from you experts out there will be appreciated.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i know they are also known as a resurrection lily. you can let them dry out and nearly look like they are dead. start watering them again and they will bounce right back.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have transplanted them. I had a huge one, that sat in my office for many years. Finally, I just had to do it. I feared for the worst. I divided the plant- and separated into two pots. It took about a year, but both of them are beautiful again...They are going to suffer for awhile. Not sure if I waited until spring or not.

Wisher1000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Lesa, I can always count on you! That's what I need, first hand experience. In what way were the two ugly? Did they act like they wanted to die, or just not so full as to be as pretty? Anyone else have similar or different experiences?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would say my original plant was at least 3 feet across. It was huge. The roots were actually growing above the soil line. I tried to be careful, but in the end I had to just saw the plant apart! I left one section much larger than the other. The smaller one ended up in a different location (which probably doesn't have as great light), but eventually perked up and got some new growth. The larger of the two looked a little ragged for a few months.
I transplant the smaller leaf variety all the time. It is a plant I use with a beta fish in a vase. So, about once a year I pull the plant out of the water and plant in soil- and take the one out of soil and put it in the vase for the fish. This plant does not seem affected by this at all.

Wisher1000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There are 4 or 5 individual stalks in the larger leafed one. I am tempted to put each in a pot of it's own. I am not sure if it would look too sparse with just one but I am sure I need several of the smaller leafed ones to fill a pot. What do you think? The leaves are about a foot wide and two to three feet long. The whole pot of plants is about five feet across from leaf tip to leaf tip (the smaller one is about three feet across.) I am usually not too hesitant to experiment but these are special to me!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee, that doesn't sound overcrowded to me?? Are you sure they need to be transplanted? That sounds like a big pot, without a lot of leaves... maybe I am not understanding. Do you have a pic? I will take a couple tomorrow and show you mine.

Wisher1000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I probably didn't explain it very well. Here are the pics. The first is the narrower leafed one it is about three feet across and just a bit shorter than that. I put a quart jar in front of it for scale.

8528_100_3587.jpg

Here is the larger one with the same jar. It actually has four individual stalks and there are some roots circleing the top of the pot.

8528_100_3588.jpg

Here is a shot at the stalks taken from above and inside the leaf canopy. I think the pot is too small. what do you think?

8528_100_3589.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think those are lovely plants Wisher!
From the close up it looks like 4 individual plants growing in the pot and you shouldn't have any problem dividing it, IMO.

Wisher1000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you, Thistlebloom, you should see them in the spring when they have lots of new leaves and I have dusted them (which I just noticed from the pics, they need badly! :/ ). I am just worried because they are special to me. Have you ever separated these, yourself?

Latest posts