Inquiring mind has a question about Winter Squash.

SouthernFarmer1984

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I bought some Butternut and Spaghetti this month I'm a month behind in planting them so they will come up in DEC instead of NOV,And when I get ready to transplant them out of the cells into the ground I told my mom I was thinking of when they start getting ready to run to lay down some clear plastic tarp and poke holes in them to let the rain drain out and so that they can't run across the grass and ground to help cut down on bugs maybe and rotting??? And kill the grass underneath,But she told me If I did that they might not run cause they pull themselves out as they grow by latching onto the grass? And I when it came time I would just put pine needles under the fruit to keep it from rotting on the tarp just like you would on the ground. I tried planting Butternut last year from BURPEE'S but the growth was horrible and so I'm trying out STOKES SEEDS this year to see if they have better growth. I'm in Florida btw If that helps with my questions.

Thank you!!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put cardboard and straw under mine as they grow. I don't know if they pull themselves along or would still vine anyway, but they do put down extra roots at intervals.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@SouthernFarmer1984, the tarp will do a good job of keeping weeds down. You are correct about the need for rain/water to get through the plastic though. I planted my squash in styrofoam cups after tearing the bottoms off. Then I had several (bottoms removed) 2-liter soda jugs stuck into the soil near each planting. I watered the jugs and everything grew really well that year. I also made sure the seeds were planted in a low spot so rain water raced along into the openings in the plastic as well.

My vines grew just fine. They don't need to pull themselves along. The tendrils are intended to stabilize the plants as they grow and will also root themselves in soil at intervals -- if possible. For mine it was not possible and everything did great.

Latest posts