Installing (or reinstalling) AC in a greenhouse -- suggestions sought

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi all..

My mom had a greenhouse made for her several years ago but the guy did a horrible job on the AC side which is used for fans, pumps and running a gas heater. If a code inspector were to walk in there he'd red-tag the place in about 5 seconds.. There are PVC boxes that have AC receptacles installed (live) and extra knock-outs are wide-open meaning that IF someone were to accidentally spray into the opening they could be electrocuted. So far no issues but it's a large accident in the making..

In the off-chance I visit her this summer I could rewire the place to better conform to code and to eliminate any shock hazards currently present. I've wired a home before but never anything as humid as her greenhouse.. It holds tons of orchids and is usually kept at about 100F with high humidity.. Obviously I'd want to continue using the grey plastic boxes.. What are my best bets for sealing out water/humidity from the outlet boxes? Is it just to use the weatherproof AC covers? Is there something better for this sort of installation?

If it matters (I don't think it does) the greenhouse is ~12'x6 give or take..

Also -- should there be a breaker box inside the greenhouse or is the house panel good enough? I believe it's wired to the main house breakers for now..

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There should be others with relevant knowledge.

All I've got is 1, what I believe is called, GFCI outlet. It is about like one for the outdoors and it has a cover.

The greenhouse has its own breaker box and a natural gas furnace. The furnace is very much like one you would find in a garage, suspended from the ceiling. No cooling system . . .

You might want to ask this question on something called "That Home Site" forum.

Steve

Latest posts