Interesting Potato Growing Kit

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Bravo, bravo....your links work fine!! It's almost time to plant those Irish Potatoes too! Thank you. :happy_flower

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh I've been seeing these growing bags and I'm loving the idea! Being able to work right out on your deck is convenient!

Arklady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Oh thats cool but how many would you need to feed you over the winter? I know my son and I can eat about 20 lbs in about two weeks. Its a main food in our family. I had thought to try the 55 gallon drum method... there is no bottom on this barrel.

You just cut out the bottom put it on good soil with good drainage and put some news paper on the bottom then straw, then some dirt and then soak it. Add seed potatoes (but they say ordinary potatoes work), only about 8 or so. Then cover with more layers of straw and kind of press down once it is soaked again.

Wait till they get leggy and add straw and dirt from time to time to the tops of the leaves once you get to the top that's it... just leave it be. They say you should net about 2-300 lbs.

At least that's what they say.

Anyone ever try this?

Arklady

2 Beauts

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I saw one where they wrapped chicken wire around 4 or 5 of those green metal posts, then they kept adding layers of dirt and straw. My question is when it's done that way, do you harvest the potatoes all at once? And, if so, how do you do it? Do you just pull off the chicken wire and it all comes crashing down? That could make a big mess.

Arklady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I know it would seem like a mess but if you are careful you could probably just dig out the potatoes and scoop out the material for the garden as composted material. Or you could spread it on your yard as goodies and let the grass have some good stuff for the year.

I know I am going to use the old material in one of my raised beds.

Arklady

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I saw one once where they used a plastic trash can. Same layering method, straw etc.. But they had cut a flap like door on the lower side of the can. When you needed potato you opened the flap and helped yourself. This worked great so you did not have to disturb the plant itself. The only thing I have always wondered is do the plants get enough sun when they are wayyyy down inside the barrel/ can?

Arklady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
The only thing I have always wondered is do the plants get enough sun when they are wayyyy down inside the barrel/ can?
I believe that you are supposed to keep filling up the can till they grow up and out the top eventually. Then they get sunlight that keeps the plant alive.

Arklady

jackiedon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
2 Beauts said:
I saw one where they wrapped chicken wire around 4 or 5 of those green metal posts, then they kept adding layers of dirt and straw. My question is when it's done that way, do you harvest the potatoes all at once? And, if so, how do you do it? Do you just pull off the chicken wire and it all comes crashing down? That could make a big mess.
I think it would be so much easier than on your hands and knees digging for potatoes like we did when I was a kid. We planted spring and fall potatoes and I hated digging potatoes.

I would think you could put plastic on the ground to catch the material and then recycle it.

jackie

Latest posts