Into The Swamp For Ron's Gift

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I want to make a special gift for Ron as his birthday is coming up soon. The plants I am looking for will need to come from the swamp.

I have packed up my gear, take a look see.

100_8314.jpg

100_8315.jpg

I went into the swamp but I could not find what I was after but I did come across these wonderful flowers.

100_8327.jpg

I was able to collect these seed pods from it.

100_8320.jpg

Here is the seed inside.

100_8323.jpg

I also found these very interesting seeds.

100_8319.jpg

Well these are cool I still haven't found what I was looking for!

Joe

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow! That looks like yellow Baptisia! Wild Indigo, possibly B. tinctoria.
I have the blue... lovely blue green foliage all season. It usually blooms in spring/early summer here.
Nice find... wonderful wild flower!

You post such interesting things. I get all the tools, but what's the rope for? ... alligator restraint.. :lol:

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG!

What an incredible act of bravery and friendship!!! LOL Wow! :ep

What can I say. That Wild Indigo is awesome! I have never seen that before. The seedpod with the bright orange/red seeds looks very similar to the Texas Mountain Laurel, or Mescal Bean, but the seedpods are bit more shapely in your picture. Were the leaves segmented like a wisteria? Maybe it is called Florida Laurel! LOL

Here is what the Texas Mountain Laurel looks like!
PCD2321_IMG0065.JPG

I am totally in awe! Only thing missing is the Fountain of Youth ( I think there is rumors that it is out your way :gig ) I could use a bucket-full of that! :old

Incredible. What can I say or do but to be utterly speechless! Of course I am hardly ever speechless, but this is the closest yet.

Thank you so much Joe!

Ron :rose

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG, I've changed my mind!

Now that you put that website up with all those incredible plants I decided that I must have one of each! LOL :gig

Did you see all those orchids? OMG and the Pitcher plants!!!! OMG I would go ga-ga; no wonder you have folks living in the jungles out there. I would be like Lord Ron--Keeper of the Bog! I would even have moss hanging from my hair.

Oh, forgot to mention, what a great Bicycle! I like the way you have the shovel attached to the side. :thumbsup

And, how far did you have to travel to find this 'forest'? Did you see there are Bears too? I am afraid of Bears so don't send one of those! LOL Where do you mount the Pepper Spray? LOL :gig

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
OMG, I've changed my mind!

Now that you put that website up with all those incredible plants I decided that I must have one of each! LOL :gig

Did you see all those orchids? OMG and the Pitcher plants!!!! OMG I would go ga-ga; no wonder you have folks living in the jungles out there. I would be like Lord Ron--Keeper of the Bog! I would even have moss hanging from my hair.

Oh, forgot to mention, what a great Bicycle! I like the way you have the shovel attached to the side. :thumbsup

And, how far did you have to travel to find this 'forest'? Did you see there are Bears too? I am afraid of Bears so don't send one of those! LOL Where do you mount the Pepper Spray? LOL :gig

Ron
No Pepper spray! but a knife in the basket and that shovel is not just a shovel! The thing is razor sharp and setup to come off the bike like a sword!

It was a shame to have to ride past all the trash, beds, carpet, ect.

Then back in the woods more you see were people were living, nothing but beer cans and bottles! They don't take care of were they stay so the people that own the land kick them off!

The swamp I went to is just a few miles from my home.

Joe

I will find what I want in the morning!

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, I wish I could just hop my bike and go looking for such glorious things to grow. Ron, you must really rank for a score such as this :bow

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I keep telling folks that I am 'easy', but I guess they don't believe me! LOL

If you sent me a link to a website full of plant pictures I am like a kid!

:gig Here kid, here is the Sears and Roebuck catalog have fun! LOL I am the consummate Window Shopper! :gig

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay I just got back from another trip into the wilds!
Yes that means the swamp and Walmart!

I found what I was after! I now realize that I was on track yesterday but I was just over looking them!

Let me explain. I can't say what they are, and they are not really that special. But I think Ron will like what I have planned.
Last winter was very cold here a few times, not normal!
This freezing had killed all of the plants I am in search of!
So up into the tree I go and low and behold there they are, just little fellas. To small to see from the ground!

Now I am putting together the gift and will send it asap.
I will let Ron share the final results!

Oh and it will be, "some assemble required" !

Joe