Introducing the Picture Of The Week (POW) Winner Badge

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think the best way to look at it is to be happy for those who win the recognition and take it as a lovely surprise if in fact your entry wins. Competition like a sports game on this forum would be a sorry state of affairs indeed. Competition where we all cheer for the recognition of someone's talent in capturing that perfect picture for POW and are genuinely happy for them, IS what this forum is all about. Caring, friendly people are what makes TEG that special place.

If it gets out of control, if it seems to slight people more than intended, then we can always ask Nifty to do a poll on who wants it discontinued. That way, the votes are anonymous and nobody's feelings are hurt.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder what exactly is the perfect picture for the POW?
I know a lot of people don't agree with the choices I pick each week.

It's absolutely subjective, and it's all my decision. I am simply human, and have my biases.

A member has put what that recognition, or lack of it means, jokingly perhaps, but very succinctly.

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was joking! Honestly! Not succinct, not, not, not! I recognize from the fantastic photos others post that I am not a great photographer and I usually forget my camera when a really good picture opportunity pops up anyway. Still, I have had POW photos.

Personally, I think that having the POW is recognition enough. This site is already so much fun. But anything that makes it more fun, more sharing, more caring is double-double fine with me.

I wouldn't want this site to become a contest either. I don't think it would because of the wonderful folks here. I appreciate the moderators trying to keep the site new and interesting for the members, but the members themselves are enough to keep TEG new and interesting for me.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, you were joking Red! :) I modify my statement to reflect that. But it's not just the comments made by members today that I am considering.

I do appreciate what Nifty and all the behind the scenes, hard working, dedicated, moderators and support staff are doing. I truly, truly do! We all want everybody to be active and share.

But you can't deny the contest atmosphere when points are being accumulated and counted and awards given.
You just can't, no matter what spin you put on it.

TEG is fun, and I'm happy to be a part of it. I sure don't want these comments I've made to be misinterpreted. I've joined other forums, but this is where I always come to "live".

If feedback was wanted, I wanted to be honest about it.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
We LOVE feedback, especially when it is given in a friendly way with the desire to help and support this community we love.

We definitely don't want our members to feel like the POW is a super competitive thing. The goal of the badges / awards in general are to help get members excited about participating, recognize achievements, and also encourage new members to sign up.

The goal of this particular badge / award is to promote the POW and have fun with recognizing the weekly "winner" of the POW. Maybe "winner" isn't the best term, especially if it conveys that this is a big "competitive" process.

Obviously some things that appeal to some people and excite them may not apply to others. We try to test various ideas to help improve the experience for our members and guests.

We're open to suggestions on how to achieve our collective goals, so please keep them coming!!

:thumbsup

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nify, I don't think we need anything to get us excited about TEG. This wonderful site and you as administrator is enough to do that. I think all the wonderful information and having such a nice group of people here is also enough to encourage new members to join. I think it's understood that we all appreciate your hard work and really like you! :)

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ditto what @Carol Dee said @ninnymary and @thistlebloom just said. All my other gardening groups are falling to the wayside. Petty bickering, lack of participation, few new members, repetitive questions, and the like.

Not here! Every day is filled with tips, help, conversation, photos, friends, and a bit of fun. Awards can't beat that.

Latest posts