Invasive flower / vine with yellow flower ..Photo's added update

2468Gardeningisgr8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Okay I have no photo's right now....went to take a picture but both batteries needed recharging...I will put it up soon....

I was at a "new" gardening friends today and she was digging up plants to give me....I in return was giving her chicken manure...

She showed me this plant that has taken over her compost pile and gardens
Its a vine with a yellow flower
but the roots are like a bulb...looks like a walnut with hairy roots and it multiplies at the end of the roots it grows another "walnut" type bulb and the plants shoots up out of that.....She pulled a hole string of them out.....she has had this plant for a long time she figures it came in with the compost / mulch she bought from the city....she has to tackle it in the spring before the vine gets out of hand ....but gets them every year....
I thought maybe someone would know...I'll put photo's up tomorrow...thanks
4910_kathys_weedapril_2009_003.jpg

4910_kathys_weedapril_2009_007.jpg

2468Gardeningisgr8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
....all the plants she gave me I have washed the roots out and checked for anything unusual....trust me I dont want this weed ....I have enough already....

sred98

Leafing Out
Reaction score
It looks like a squash/melon vine of some kind. If someone threw out a cantaloupe or something like that, it would grow like crazy in the compost. I would try it in a container and see what happens.

Shelly

2468Gardeningisgr8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sylvie said:
It is not Trumpet Vine, Campsis radicans.
link with pic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trumpet_vine

What does the flower look like and what area are you in?
I am not sure what the flower looks like....the plant is just starting to grow....she did tell me its a vine and the flower was yellow and one year it got so out of hand it grew up into her cedar trees and sufficated the whole side......
I'll talk to her on Monday and get some more information ...I still have the bulb so I am going to try cutting it open...
Ooops by the way we live in Southern Ontario Canada...close to Toronto

2468Gardeningisgr8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
sred98 said:
It looks like a squash/melon vine of some kind. If someone threw out a cantaloupe or something like that, it would grow like crazy in the compost. I would try it in a container and see what happens.

Shelly
No I dont think its a melon type plant....because if you could imagine a string of Christmas tree lights you can imagine when she pulled out one plant and kept pulling out popped another little walnut size bulb connected by a sting like root and another and another all with a plant growing from the bulb....
I have never seen anything like it.....