Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Okay I cut the "bulb" in half....and it looks like a potato
4910_kathys_weedapril_2009_004.jpg
inside??????

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd bring it to your nearest extention service {or Canadian equalivent???} they may know what it is...If it is invasive they may know how to fight it...and may want to know how she got it...cant have city compost dropping unwanted weeds all over the place...

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

I think I know what it is; I have a ton of it in my yard and it is a mess to get rid of.

Although my version does an off-white flower the leaves look identical and when you describe the tendril like root to the bulb it is just what I have. I hate it. The bulb will hide yards away from the plant and now matter how much digging or how much pulling it comes back with vigor.

It is called "Alkali Mallow". Here are some pictures on this link. See if the leaf does not look exactly like that.

http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?where-genre=Plant&where-taxon=Malvella+leprosa

Wishing you luck that you never have to see what I have to see in my yarden with this nasty plant.

Ron

2468Gardeningisgr8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
aquarose said:
2468Gardeningisgr8 said:
Okay I cut the "bulb" in half....and it looks like a potatohttp://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/4910_kathys_weedapril_2009_004.jpg inside??????
I wonder if it is edible?
If you want to come over to my place I can set up a dinner date at my friends and we will let you taste it first ...ha ha ha !!! If it was edible I think she could feed a family of five ....for years....

I am on a mission now....thanks everyone I am going to pass on the information and see if it matches her weed.....

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It sounds (but doesn't look) like kudzu. That stuff is a menace here in the south. It's edible but I don't know... lots of people graze livestock in it. Maybe your friend needs a goat or two.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there :frow

Doesn't kudzu have a more elongated rhizome/ fruit/ thingy ( my brain can't think of the right word tonight). The description & the photograph are rounder. :idunno

If it's a kind of mallow a lot of them are edible.

:rose Hattie :rose

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm no help because I don't know what they are called, just that they grow in Florida. They used to drive me crazy 'cause when you pull them--they STINK big time. LOL we just called them "Stink Vine". They are very plentiful and spread like crazy!

Rusty

Latest posts