Iris vs Rabbits

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I had a gift certificate for a bulb company, so I ordered some Dutch Iris, I just love them. However we have a bad problem here with rabbits and chipmunks eating all our stuff...I know they won't mess with the tops of iris, since I grew them in Colorado and the deer and everything else stayed away, but how likely are they going to be to dig up the bulbs and eat them before they even sprout? The only sort of safely fenced area I've got is my veggie garden, and while it would be cute to have irises tucked in around my lettuces, they do take up a lot of space...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I really do not know how well they would do. We have rabbits, and all our iris are perfectly fine... but that may be because something else keeps them full, or keeps them away without me noticing?!

I would say you are safe though, they prefer 'tender' items and iris bulbs and leaves are pretty tough.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hmm...maybe I'll plant a couple and give it a week to see if it goes well. I wouldn't think it is something a rabbit would have interest in, but then again, the ones here eat our stuff like there is nothing else in the world to eat.

iajewel

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I raise my Flemish giant rabbits in my orchard and gardens. They will not touch the iris. They do however love to eat the flowers off of the mums..

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took this from a internet website. I'm not sure how true or accurate it is, but I have never had a problem with deer or rabbits with my bearded iris. Voles seem to like them, so if you find eaten out husks, it is probably voles.

I notice you specifically mentioned "Dutch Iris". I don't know if these are the ones with the strong aroma or not. Maybe you could plant a few in the open and a few protected and transplant next season if you don't have a problem?

Iris flowers grow from bulbs, and they are available in several colors and sizes. Most have a strong aroma that repels rabbits. Often used in borders and flowerbeds, iris flowers attract birds and hummingbirds. They need at least partial sun, and they grow well in most parts of the country.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
All of the iris family are poisonous. Rabbits have a good nose that tells them if a plant is poisonous or not.

Latest posts