Irises - maintenance question

Ja8edfyre

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have some lovely royal purple irises that grow in my yard (planted by the previous owner). They're getting so tall that when the flowers bloom, the stem falls over. Is there something I can do to keep this from happening?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Basically, either stake them (you can use a hoop style support) or remove and replant a shorter variety, sorry.

If you've fertilized them, don't; if they're getting shaded, clear things out so they get full sun or nearly so -- but I really doubt that's your problem. A bunch of varieties just DO get too tall for their own good.

Good luck,

Pat

Ja8edfyre

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
well poop... They are partially shaded because they were planted around a tree. I don't fertilize them, but the chickens might be when they hang out near them. It's not often though. I hate to get rid of them because they are such beautiful flowers! I'll have to look into the staking option.

Thanks Pat!

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi. How about just turning them into cut flowers? When the buds begin to open just cut 'em, and put 'em in a vase in the house. Do they have the classic, grape Koolaid scent that irises tend to have? I love irises.

Latest posts