Irma

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
On Florida's west coast, the authorities in two counties with approximately 1 million people report that about 37,000 people are in their evacuation shelters.

To me, that looks pretty good. As tho, people heeded the calls to leave. I'm sure that there are plenty more people throughout those counties, however. Low, single digitS' of the communities turning to assistance for shelter, so far.

However, people are already going to neighboring counties because the shelters along the coast are considered full. Worrisome.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, that city sure looks to be on Irma's direct path, @Collector .

I spent an entire month in Florida, once. Really enjoyed it and tried to travel to another part every few days. Tampa was a nice starting point. Spent a couple of days in Punta Gorda but visiting Fort Myers Beach was real special.

I was disappointed in the Everglades but that was because I had the wrong expectations. I wonder how much the storm surge will change things there ...

Went as far as Key West and enjoyed that but grew a little tired of concrete bridges, along the way. The east coast was pleasant but, wow, the development!

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sister, most of her kids, and all of her grandkids are in Jacksonville. They were going to evacuate but with this move to the west not now. Where they planned to go would have been more in the expected path.

When I lived on the Gulf Coast you never wished these things on anyone else but you sure did not want it to come visit you. The computer models are converging over the next few days but there is still uncertainty. When these things touch land they tend to weaken because they are not over warm water which fuels them, which is good. They also tend to change directions some because of the friction of part of them going over land. From up here all I can do is watch and pray.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
You don't think of the danger of it from this far away. Having such a close relative in its path sort of changes the way you think about it. I also have a family friend and neighbor growing up living in Pompano beach Fl. It is just north of FT Lauderdale , she said they have lost power twice but it has came back on. Have not heard anything in last several hours though

Latest posts