Irrigating/Watering Grapes

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I only have six grape vines, so "watering grapes" is probably a more suitable subject title.

These questions are for the grape growers out there:

How often do you irrigate/water your grapes?

Have you ever suffered the consequences of overwatering?

What were those consequences specifically?

I ask because I'm having a problem with mine and disease has been ruled out by the cooperative extension. I follow their fertilization recommendations precisely, so that's not the problem either. I water the ground around the bases of the vines and in between the rows. I do not water the leaves as I know that can cause problems.

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have my 2 grape plants in a truck tire or truck rim,and I water those atleast twice a week.Sometimes I add some liquid fertilizer. I have one just in the ground by my fence,and water that once a weekl.

I bought 2 or 3 grape plants this spring and I think all but one died.The soil was not very *breathable* for the roots.We had to much rain.

Are your plants too big to pot? I repotted an apple tree in better soil to try and nurse it back to health. I lost a lot of seedling this spring to root rot.

I would water till the water sits on top for a bit longer.Probably need to water more often when the grapes are growing. I turn the soil to see.I am always amazed that I can water with the hose for a bit,but when I turn the soil the soil is dry underneath.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ooops I have not watered ours yet! It looks great. So do the plants around it in spite of the dry spell. I may have to water tho if we do not get rain soon.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Veggie PAK said:
I only have six grape vines, so "watering grapes" is probably a more suitable subject title.

These questions are for the grape growers out there:

How often do you irrigate/water your grapes?

Have you ever suffered the consequences of overwatering?

What were those consequences specifically?

I ask because I'm having a problem with mine and disease has been ruled out by the cooperative extension. I follow their fertilization recommendations precisely, so that's not the problem either. I water the ground around the bases of the vines and in between the rows. I do not water the leaves as I know that can cause problems.
I water my grapes when it hasn't rain for awhile, I haven't had a problem with overwatering them. I mulch all my grape plants which helps to keep the moisture inside, especially when their producing they need to be watered frequently. When the grapes are ripening I don't water them as much and often.
Hope this helps! ;)

Latest posts