Is Amaranth invasive?

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
You might also want to try growing quinoa as well. I am going to plant it this year. My first try at both amaranth and quinoa.
I'm trying both this year also. My plan is to grow them in some of the clearings in our woods. The quinoa won't need netting, but I may need to protect the amaranth from wild birds. I'm also considering putting the amaranth up near the street for an additional visual block. All the better if I can manage to harvest enough to feed the chickens! lol

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
AmyRey said:
hoodat said:
As an aside the Amaranthus Palmeri is one of the weeds that has learned to tolerate glysophosphate and is very worrrisome to Monsanto, which may mean it has picked up some GMO genes.
Ditto this.

http://www.youtube.com/georgiafarmmonitor#p/search/0/ZUt_pp3NUUc

(Pardon me, I don't quite know how to link YouTubes.)
Very interesting (BTW any full URL you put into your post will automatically become a link on TEG) I notice that their "solution" is to look for nother chemical instead of a more natural method. Gotta be sure they can make money off it.

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, in all fairness the Georgia Farm Monitor is geared more towards commercial farmers/agribusinesses than to backyard folks like us. But they still have some interesting things from time to time.

I only remember that piece because after we finished the new house, we had this weed pop up EVERYWHERE in the fill dirt. Undoubtedly, it was loaded with dormant seeds. My hubby spent weeks pulling it up by hand (ours had thorns, too!) so the next week when this ran, we could totally relate.

Latest posts