Is celery worth it?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
If snow insulates, then my celery stumps are insulated. I seem to not know where to plant the celery and put it off until last and then it gets the worst part of the garden, but this year it will be going between the kale.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will attest that snow insulates. Often here, when the air temps remain low, snow melts from the bottom up, and all we have left is a hard frozen shell "floating" above the grass/ground.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I didn't know celery was so hardy!

I have just been out "mulching" my rose bushes with snow. Many roses are harder than most garden veggies, but still ... By the way, that rambling rose that can cover my driveway gate with pink beauty but which I nearly killed putting in a new fencepost last spring - it grew better in 2015 than any of the 20 years previous! It has not had anything other than a snow mulch.

Now, don't count on this but I've been told that if you bury a thermometer under several feet of snow, it will stay right near 32°F no matter what the air temperature above it.

The person telling me this considers snow a very good insulator. If it works like that when it is below 0°, it must be. You know, 3 or 4 feet down in the earth, it's a steady 55° or whatever, year around. Okay, the soil surface may be frozen but a certain amount of that 55° is radiating up ... We, in the north, do know that without snow cover - frost just keeps working its way down, during real cold weather.

You see, Sprig' doesn't really need that grow room in his basement. Just snow ... ;)

Very few of my veggie garden beds are given to one crop. It isn't so much that I believe in companion planting, it's that I'm enlisting the plants to combat the weeds!

I do believe that plant neighbors may exist in some cases where one species benefits while another isn't greatly inconvenienced.

:) Steve

No, I'm pretty sure I need that grow room in my basement :). I could just do with it being bigger