Is celery worth it?

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was experimenting with growing some celery this summer -- Tendercrisp, to be exact -- and I'm just not sure it's worth the effort for me. Our house can go through a significant amount of celery, so I'm wondering how many plants I would need to grow in order to have it when we wanted (weekly). So, does anyone else out there grow it? And if so then how many plants do you have in the ground?

These guys were replanted after harvesting a few weeks back. I'll get them back in the ground soon. Maybe.
IMAG1081.jpg

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My experience with celery is dismal at best. I just cannot get it to grow very well and and when it does it grows very slow and tastes bad. Please help us someone.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
My experience with celery is dismal at best. I just cannot get it to grow very well and and when it does it grows very slow and tastes bad. Please help us someone.
/I am no help at all. We certainly do not eat enough to make growing it worthwhile. I just wanted to comment on todays Avatar! Is it in honor of his Grandmother? The longest reigning Queen of England.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We are not meant to grow celery. We are meant to buy it at the grocery. So there. Problem solved.

Ha! Thanks for the laugh.

@SprigOfTheLivingDead , the type you grew did not get bitter tasting through the hot weather?
I can't accurately answer that since Tendercrisp has a strong flavor to begin with. It was bitter, but I don't know if it was more than usual for that strain.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got the idea that celery belongs on the Monterey Peninsula in California. People complain about it being difficult to grow and my one experience with celery, seemed to confirm that. Besides, they say that we burn more calories chewing celery than we gain from it as a food ... :)

I grew celeriac - problems solved.

Celeriac has been in my garden for about 12 years. Honestly, I don't know if it's easier or more difficult than its sister, Celery. Calories? It's got those.

I mostly want celery with potatoes and carrots in soups and stews and with roasts. Celery root fills all those wants. Besides, it is great, mashed with mashed potatoes ;).

I first grew it because I thought it might be easy. It is, although it takes up space right through the season from the get-go and I start the plants in the greenhouse. One thing about it - celery root is the garden's ugliest vegetable. You gotta get used to that.

Steve

Latest posts